Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Wiener 'LITTLE TOM' 6.35mm Pistol Austrian Proofed and Dated 1922

Article about: The "Little Tom" pistol was, much earlier than the Walther PP, the first double-action automatic pistol in history. It was developed by Alois Tomiska, an Czech gun-designer born in

Default Wiener 'LITTLE TOM' 6.35mm Pistol Austrian Proofed and Dated 1922

The "Little Tom" pistol was, much earlier than the Walther PP, the first double-action automatic pistol in history.
    It was developed by Alois Tomiska, an Czech gun-designer born in 1867 in Pardubice. Tomiska learned the profession of gunsmithing in Vienna at the beginning of the 1890s and started around 1900 with the development of a double-action self-loading pistol. Eight years later he applied for a patent in England for his first double-action pistol with an external hammer. He nicknamed it "Little Tom" following his name "Tomiska". Some months later, he also got an Austrian patent for it.
    In 1909 he founded the Wiener Waffenfabrik together with Camillo Frank and started the production of his pocket-pistol in caliber .25 and (much more rare) in .32 ACP within the same year.
    The production was very slow until the beginning of 1918. World War I delayed the start of serial-production. In spite of this situation Tomiska enhanced single parts of his pistol again and again and got additional patents for them. The pistol got its definitive design around the year 1919. But in that year Tomiska sold his patents and rights to the Wiener Waffenfabrik and moved his home to the Bohemian city Pilsen, where he worked at Jihoceska Zbrojovka (South-Czech Weapon-Works), which later on became a part of Ceska Zbrojovka (CZ). He produced the Little Tom himself there as a licensed copy up to about 1929 (remark: some authors say, that Tomiska produced his own pistols BEFORE he sold the rights to the Wiener Waffenfabrik. But this is unlikely, due to the design, which is follows the later designs of that pistol). At the end Alois Tomiska was busy at Ceska Zbrojovka with the development of the pistol-types Vz22, 24 und 27. He died in 1946 in Prague.
    The main production of the "Little Tom" in Vienna was up to about 1925, where in total (including the .32 types) about 40.000 to 50.000 pcs. were made.
    The Little Tom had never been a big success - unlike the later Walther PP. One can only speculate whether the designers of that pistol got their ideas from Tomiska.
    Besides its double action, the pistols had other strange construction details: most of the magazines were made of brass, even if there were steel magazines available too. You cannot pull out the magazine from the grip from below, either, it has to be pulled out the top, through the open slide instead, like some other Austian-Hungarian pistols (Frommer, Steyr). There were some smaller variations during the production period too, especially in grips and markings.

Technical Datas:

SYSTEM: self-cocking pistol with inertial system and external hammer
    CARTRIDGES : 6
    CALIBER : .25 ACP 6
    BARREL LENGTH : 59 mm , 6 grooves right hand twisting
    WEIGHT EMPTY : 370 g
    TOTAL LENGTH : 113 mm
    TOTAL HEIGHT : 83 mm
    TOTAL WIDTH : 21 mm
    TRIGGER : Double Action
    SIGHT : none
    SAFETY : safety-lever
    FINISH : blued
    GRIPS : hard rubber
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wiener 'LITTLE TOM'    6.35mm Pistol   Austrian Proofed and Dated 1922   Wiener 'LITTLE TOM'    6.35mm Pistol   Austrian Proofed and Dated 1922  

"As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Default Re: Wiener 'LITTLE TOM' 6.35mm Pistol Austrian Proofed and Dated 1922

Nice little gun Bill.... Your library must be enormous...
    Thanks for another interesting piece !!! In the U.S. you will find i guess a left grip to match up...Thanos.

Interesting story-do you know why he kept on working on the pocket pistol during WW1?- seems like his talents would have been more urgently used.

?

great!
    I have the same..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wiener 'LITTLE TOM'    6.35mm Pistol   Austrian Proofed and Dated 1922   Wiener 'LITTLE TOM'    6.35mm Pistol   Austrian Proofed and Dated 1922  

Wiener 'LITTLE TOM'    6.35mm Pistol   Austrian Proofed and Dated 1922  

captbobster
    ?

New member here, I have a very nice one of these. Got it from a friend and it didn't work. Had a new firing pin made for it and fires very good.

?

Very interesting piece!

captbobster
    ?

Does anyone know how much a very nice one of these would be worth?

?

Quote by captbobster View Post
    New member here, I have a very nice one of these. Got it from a friend and it didn't work. Had a new firing pin made for it and fires very good.
    it's common problem of Little Tom

- - Updated - -

Quote by captbobster View Post
    Does anyone know how much a very nice one of these would be worth?
    I sold mine for 250 euros