Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Winchester 1892 model 44/40

Article about: Not sure if this is what I would call a war relic but thought you might like to see it. It's my Winchester 1892 model 44/40. As yet I have not fired it, but one of these days I will. I bough

Default Winchester 1892 model 44/40

Not sure if this is what I would call a war relic but thought you might like to see it. It's my Winchester 1892 model 44/40. As yet I have not fired it, but one of these days I will. I bought it a few years ago and realise its been reproofed in the UK, but its a classic piece and has obviously had a life. I think for its age that its in good condition, the eagle in the stock is not really me, but it came like that so who am I to change it even if it could be. It has a really low serial number and I believe it was made in 1892.
    Anyway I hope you like the look of it.
    All the best,
    D
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Winchester 1892 model 44/40   Winchester 1892 model 44/40  

Winchester 1892 model 44/40   Winchester 1892 model 44/40  

Winchester 1892 model 44/40  

I love these old lever guns!...

A lovely gun. The RFC used them during the early stages of WW1.

I did not know that, i must admit to being surprised when I took it too the range the other day no one seemed too interested in it.
    D

Winchesters were widely used in Australia as police/prison rifles-as a consequence also ended up in emergency war use in both World Wars-bayonets were even devised for them-were also on the long list of substitute rifles used aboard RN ships in WW1 to free up SMLEs for combat use.

Very nice indeed Jersey. Appears to be a 20 barrel and in 44-40 does have a premium in value over the 24 inch type. Produced from 1892-1941 according to my source. The carbine did come with a saddle ring. Does appear to be a low serial no. which should add some value. Definitely a keeper. Nice to see a great classic here. Thanks for showing.

Hi mauser9,
    Unfortunately the difference in value in the USA to where I am here in the Channel Islands is going to be vast I guess. I did think of letting it go but asked around and there were no takers at any price.
    I think its a rare gun especially over here, and i am more than happy for it to stay in the gun cabinet.
    D.

Very nice piece of history, I have a set of dies for that calibre

Interesting piece, "in the gray" as they say... the eagle is interesting, the stock is overvarnished, the poor thing has more stamps than the post office on the receiver, but at least it's not de-act.

Great gun, great caliber, the pride of anyone's collection for old West weapons.

At this point it's probably best to leave it just the way it is?

As Mauser says, yes, a "Saddle Ring Carbine, that's the icing on the cake, would love to have one.

One question. Can you fire smokeless powder rounds through this?

Or I suppose they make a round for it, of course you can roll your own also.

Is there any rifling left in the barrel?

?

Quote by Larboard View Post
    One question. Can you fire smokeless powder rounds through this?
    Its a black powder firearm and smokeless powder has a different burn rate and should not be used.

They still make that ammo,(Cowboy shooters) so this round is available. At least on this side of the pond.
    There are substitutes for black powder, One I use for my BP shooting is Pyrodex. Which is a less corrosive version and there are other products that can used.

That is a true classic you picked up Jersey 34!!! Like mentioned, It would be the pride of any Western collectors

Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast