Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

World premier viewing of my super rare German Mauser Rifle variant.

Article about: Here if this works? is a photo my a German Mauser Sniper variant that I purchased some 15 years ago. It will be literally one of the mintest Mausers you will feat your eyes on. It has a 25 r

Default World premier viewing of my super rare German Mauser Rifle variant.

Here if this works? is a photo my a German Mauser Sniper variant that I purchased some 15 years ago. It will be literally one of the mintest Mausers you will feat your eyes on. It has a 25 round fixed, anstekmagazin. I can tell some of the history on this rifle if anyone is interested? A little for now: This rifle has had EXACTLY 50 rounds fired through it since it was built and has had four owners--im the last owner.

The man who Authored the excellent 2 volume series called: Backbone of the Wehrmacht (Richard Law) vol 2-on sniper rifles and their variants, has only two rifles in the book that come close to matching mine but still not exact and not nearly in the condition mine is in. Anyway, shortly after I purchased this rifle--I was contacted by someone who knew the author and said he was interested in updating his books and was wanting mine to be featured in vol 2. Sadly, the author passed away before anything could happen so-----this is the second time and image of this rifle is posted on the net. The first time was a few minutes ago on the war44 forums.

The 2nd rifle is my 1898 Krag Carbine and was one of those Philippine Contract rifles and still has a supple and original sling.

Default Re: World premier viewing of my super rare German Mauser Rifle variant.

The poster and postcard that are somewhat hidden behind the rifles--are mint and I think the poster was a recruiting poster for machine gun troops. The card is a rare card and is even rarer for both to be together and in mint condition. Enjoy.

Hi Carl, please tell us more!

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

For the life of me I can't see why a sniper would have the Mauser auto rifle mag fitted to it-would be heavy, awkward in cover and difficult to use in the prone position-ground use of the mag was intended to reduce getting dirt/mud into the mechanism in the trenches during rapid fire-not really a consideration for sniping.

It reminds me of the large fixed mag for the G98 used in the trenches. It does seem a bit ungainly.

?

Not running into your parade, it looks like a converted MG13 Magazine, does it have any markings on it ?
    Story would be interesting

WWI Grabenmagazin

http://www.municion.org/carregadors/Grabenmagazin1G.jpg

?

Quote by lithgow View Post
    For the life of me I can't see why a sniper would have the Mauser auto rifle mag fitted to it-would be heavy, awkward in cover and difficult to use in the prone position-ground use of the mag was intended to reduce getting dirt/mud into the mechanism in the trenches during rapid fire-not really a consideration for sniping.
    You are aware of the M14 A1 i guess. Still an awesome rifle to this day

Regards, Lars

?

Please let's hear some more about this rifle!

Regards, Lars

Datrus-dedicated sniper rifles don't have large magazines for the reasons I stated-you do find adapted infantry weapons like the M14 or FN FAL fitted with scopes but these are not in the same class-the Dragunov is a case in point, an adapted AK mechanism but it doesn't have a large magazine.

Ostmark-the 25 round mag goes back to the M1916 Mauser semi auto rifle used by the Imperial German air arm for early air to air combat-the basic mag design was then adapted for trench use in the G98 and later for the MG13.

?

I would not call the Mauser a dedicated sniper. IMHO as dedicated as the Mosin sniper. The best shooting rifles were selected and fitted with a scope. They reached a little further than the standard rifles. For a dedicated "sniper" rifle you would expect free floating barrel, fluted barrel etc. I am sure you know

Regards, Lars

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast