Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

World premier viewing of my super rare German Mauser Rifle variant.

Article about: Here if this works? is a photo my a German Mauser Sniper variant that I purchased some 15 years ago. It will be literally one of the mintest Mausers you will feat your eyes on. It has a 25 r

?

Default Re: World premier viewing of my super rare German Mauser Rifle variant.

Btw. The SVT Dragunov and the AK is similar in design. But quite different internals.

Regards, Lars

?

Quote by lithgow View Post
    Datrus-dedicated sniper rifles don't have large magazines for the reasons I stated-you do find adapted infantry weapons like the M14 or FN FAL fitted with scopes but these are not in the same class-the Dragunov is a case in point, an adapted AK mechanism but it doesn't have a large magazine.

Ostmark-the 25 round mag goes back to the M1916 Mauser semi auto rifle used by the Imperial German air arm for early air to air combat-the basic mag design was then adapted for trench use in the G98 and later for the MG13.
    Thats why i was asking if there are any markings on this magazin . In my posting there is a pic of how a grabenmagazin should look like.
    That is only my small knowledge about this kind of magazines and i have seen also the fakes of it flooding around made of MG13 magazines

?

I also seem to recall back in the 80's SARCO in New Jersey sold those magazines. They advertised them as magazines used in the trenches for the GEW 98.

?

So will the original poster of this thread please tell us more about the story behind this rifle and maybe post some close up pics of any markings or scope mounts for this sniper rifle.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Carl, please tell us more!

Cheers, Ade.
    Hi Ade, I sure will but--it will be Sunday afternoon as ill be gone all day to a gun show Sat. I only have one page of info on it and it was found and sent to me by a nice Gent by the name of Dieter Stenger of Stenger Historica. He found info on it for me about 10 years ago and ill have to copy it all donw to post here. Another friend of mine just a few months ago--who was a German Army Weapons expert and served in the Gebirgsjagers (not WWII) told me that sight unseen--he thinks its an M-98 and there was another which was called the A-98. I dont know what those are? as ive never heard of them before. Im trying to get him to one of the sites I posted the photos of it on--but hes gone on Holiday till? ;-))

Quote by lithgow View Post
    For the life of me I can't see why a sniper would have the Mauser auto rifle mag fitted to it-would be heavy, awkward in cover and difficult to use in the prone position-ground use of the mag was intended to reduce getting dirt/mud into the mechanism in the trenches during rapid fire-not really a consideration for sniping.
    Hi Lithgow--its because it is an experimental rifle that the OKW? ordered some to be made and tested. Ive seen others with a 20-10 round detachable magazine--and those mags are not ribbed like mine is. That scant info ill have posted on Sunday afternoon sometime ;-)) Other than what Dieter Stenger found out for me--I have no other info on the rifle except that it is thought that no more than from as little as mine-to maybe 5 and certainly no more than 10--were ever built.

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    It reminds me of the large fixed mag for the G98 used in the trenches. It does seem a bit ungainly.
    Your thinking in the correct direction and--my magazine is actually an MG-13? or MG-15? magazine. Backbone of the Wehrmacht Vol 2, covers into that too--just no rifle pictured in that book looks exactly like mine but--two come pretty close. ;-))

Quote by Ostmark View Post
    Not running into your parade, it looks like a converted MG13 Magazine, does it have any markings on it ?
    Story would be interesting

WWI Grabenmagazin

http://www.municion.org/carregadors/Grabenmagazin1G.jpg
    Hi Ost/ your correct--it is an MG-13 mag that was fitted to this rifle. It also has markings but I cant remember what they are? as my rifle currently sits in my Nephews gun safe some 30 or so miles from me. Anyway, the magazine was made in 1936 and stamped as such also has the various Waffennampt stamps on it.

Forgot to add since i just saw your link--that the Magazine shown is the most commonly seen mag used--but if I recall? I THINK that is only a 10-round magazine?

Quote by Datrus View Post
    Please let's hear some more about this rifle!

Regards, Lars
    Your wish is my command--but will be on Sunday ;-)0 I couldnt reply yesterday since we were observing out Thanksgiving Holiday and I had no internet access. ;-))

Quote by Datrus View Post
    I would not call the Mauser a dedicated sniper. IMHO as dedicated as the Mosin sniper. The best shooting rifles were selected and fitted with a scope. They reached a little further than the standard rifles. For a dedicated "sniper" rifle you would expect free floating barrel, fluted barrel etc. I am sure you know

Regards, Lars
    On these mausers with high capacity magazines. Those that Russia captured from the Germans during and after WWII--many ended up in the hands of Viet Cong and NVA Soldiers during the Vietnam War. Those rifles will be dated at least 1940 and after. Mine was built in 1935 and spent its "career" in the Mauser Museum in Oberndorf--that is--untill the G.I. who eh hem--liberated it in 1945. He kept it till I think 1980? or 1985--then sold it to the Mauser dealer who I bought it from. This guy was in Houston and I dont know if he still sells Mausers or not? I got this rifle thanks to him needing the money at the time and under pressure from his pregnant wife ;-)) She forced him to sell it off because they needed the money. Ill tell the actual story on how I got it and why? after i post that info I have on it on Sunday ;-))

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast