Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

World premier viewing of my super rare German Mauser Rifle variant.

Article about: Here if this works? is a photo my a German Mauser Sniper variant that I purchased some 15 years ago. It will be literally one of the mintest Mausers you will feat your eyes on. It has a 25 r

Default Re: World premier viewing of my super rare German Mauser Rifle variant.

Quote by M14sRock View Post
    Fascinating. I want to hear more, though. Please.
    About all I have left to try telling--is the process of how i was able to get this rifle. Kinda boring but if you want to hear it? ill post it tomorrow afternoon.

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Thanks History Buff your replies, The info you provided is very interesting and it must be an awesome feeling owning such a peice of Mauser history.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Hi Phil and quite welcome. It is a great feeling owning it and opens the "door" for me to trade for other nice weapons. Im thinking of possibly trading it for one of those "duel-port" MP-40s. There are at least 5 here in the Country that I know of. However, those are valued near $100,000--and I dont know if my rifle could fetch near that much?

On page 9 of the "pinned" topic on Mauser rifles, someone posted three photos of his rifle w/ 25 round magazine-however, his has a release for the Mag. I wish he would have posted more photos of his Mauser-as I could compare and tell the difference in details his does not have that mine does.

?

- - Updated - -

Quote by history-buff1944 View Post
    Hi Ost/ your correct--it is an MG-13 mag that was fitted to this rifle. It also has markings but I cant remember what they are? as my rifle currently sits in my Nephews gun safe some 30 or so miles from me. Anyway, the magazine was made in 1936 and stamped as such also has the various Waffennampt stamps on it.

Forgot to add since i just saw your link--that the Magazine shown is the most commonly seen mag used--but if I recall? I THINK that is only a 10-round magazine?
    Thats what i thought, i have not seen a conversion which was not done with a MG13 mag

Is it possible for you to post some detailed pics of the G98, the one you posted is too blurry
    That would be very nice

Im going to try to get some pics by sometime in December. I talked with my Nephew who has it and he can take pics--but dont know exactly when I can get it done? I once had had several nice photos of it--highly detailed--and were taken by a TV station studio camera--but I have no idea where those pics are at? They showed so much detail you could see markings and such with so much ease.

If interested? all I have left to add untill I can get one of my Nephews to take close-up detailed photos of it--is how I came to get this rifle--and it took about a year of trying.

Back early 1997, I first saw the rifle at a local gun show. I admired the piece and went to go look and ask about it. The seller had it priced at what I thought was a high price for a Mauser. I asked if he would take two payments for it as I only had $400 on me at the time. He said nope--had to get it all at the same time. I stopped by the table next to his-and wound up spending the money for my Krag Carbine. The seller (Mr. Schmidt) watched me fork over the money and gave me an angry look. I told him the money could have been his and I walked away.

Well, I missed the next 2-3 gun shows because of my then--job and I worked well over 1 hours drive away. I had forgot about that rifle till the next gun show I was able to attend--which was a small show and was in September? I went in and there were few people there as it was a small show. I saw that Mauser again--and the same dealer I bought the Krag from--tables next to each others tables again.

I walked up to the Mauser dealer again--and again only had maybe $450 with me. I told him I was interested in buying that rifle but--needed to make two payments-since i had not enough on me. I also did not have a bank card at the time to be able to go to an ATM and get more money. He said nope--needed all the money at once. SO-I walked away went to the next table and saw a VERY nice AC-43 Walther P-38. I bought that handgun and again received an angry look from Mr. Schmidt. Heck, I cant help it if I bought a 2nd gun from the same seller from before and who also happened to have his tables next to Mr. Schmidts.

I walked away thinking I would never buy that Mauser-but didnt really care either. There were 3 more gun shows scheduled for 1997--and I was able to attend all three. The next was in Oct--I only bought afew books and spare magazines for other handguns I had at the time. I saw the Mauser dealer there-but kind of ignored him and went to another table whose seller was a friend of mine and was there about 2 hours.

While I ended up buying a Brown P-38 holster with the former owners name on it as well as the area he served in (Landshut) the Mauser dealer came up to me and asked if I stll wanted his rifle? I said I did but--same as before--HAD to do is in two payments. Again he said no--and said that many people were interested in it and claimed they would be back to buy it--well--turned out nobody came beck after i left the show. I figured it would have sold and thought no more on it.

I went again in November because my Boss allowed me time off to go look and look for a hunting rifle for him. Mr Schmidt was there and still had the rifle. I faked not being interested in it so never stopped by his table and went to go see another friend of mine selling off some of his rifles and wound up buying an BYF-41 P-38 w/ black grips. This was one of those supposed "Stalingrad Battlefield Pickups" was a bit rough but still nice and I think I paid maybe $325 for it??? After messing around with dealer friends of mine--I left.

Last show of the year--December and just after Christmas. Mr Schmidt was there ans still had the rifle. I figured I would try again once more and see if I could give him two payments. Nope--so I left the show.

The show I attended next was in Feb or March? I forget which? Anyway, I went and made the rounds with my friends there. I eventually made my way to the friend who sold me that "Landshut" holster and ignored Mr. Schmidt. That day--his wife was there with him and she was very pregnant and they also had an elderly gent with him who turned out to be that WWII vet who originally took the rifle. I stayed talking with my friend and Mr Schmidy and that Vet came up to me and Schmidt asked if I was still interested in the rifle? and I said I had just bought another gun and was short on cash and IF I decided to get the rifle? it would have to be made in two purchases. Mr. Schmidt said another person at the show was also interested in the rifle and was still there walking around looking. He wanted to know how long I was going to be around? and I said till probably closing since I was still waiting for another friend to show--Don Gillis--who also was the collector who offered me (about 2-3 years later) $25,000 for that rifle--which I turned down.

Anyway, it was almost closing and Schmidt approached me and asked me to his table. We went and I pawed the rifle trying not to drool over it and show my drooling. He had dropped the price by $800.00 and wanted $800.00--but in one payment. I told him that due to just spending over $300--I was short till my next check which was due in next week. He said he couldnt take two payments and I said well-I just do not have the $800 so I started walking away--when his wife stopped and chewed him out for losing a sale (I overheard her saying that and more) and she forced him into allowing me to make two payments. His wife also forced him to lower the price by $200-and he also had to pay the bill for shipping costs by UPS. I paid $400-and that rifle was mine. I sent the final amount next week like I said I could--I finally got a notice for missed delivery by UPS--thanks to my work schedule. Well, they attempted delivery I think twice more? and finally said I could either pick it up at their distribution center-or it was being shipped back to the dealer. I got that notice THE day it was due to be shipped back--and I had to call in sick from work to go fetch it. I got to the distribution center as it was being loaded onto the truck.

I talked them into getting my package and was a bit peeved because it was in a box whose end had ripped open and the stock was sticking out and couls have been damaged. It took about an hour of waiting and they got me my package--signed for it-then I opened it in the office with people staring and then left. The rest is history and from the time I got the rifle till late 2000--I ahd many collectors make various offers for the rifle--all of which I turned down.

Persistence pays off!

Quote by history-buff1944 View Post
    If interested? all I have left to add untill I can get one of my Nephews to take close-up detailed photos of it--is how I came to get this rifle--and it took about a year of trying.

Back early 1997, I first saw the rifle at a local gun show. I admired the piece and went to go look and ask about it. The seller had it priced at what I thought was a high price for a Mauser. I asked if he would take two payments for it as I only had $400 on me at the time. He said nope--had to get it all at the same time. I stopped by the table next to his-and wound up spending the money for my Krag Carbine. The seller (Mr. Schmidt) watched me fork over the money and gave me an angry look. I told him the money could have been his and I walked away.

Well, I missed the next 2-3 gun shows because of my then--job and I worked well over 1 hours drive away. I had forgot about that rifle till the next gun show I was able to attend--which was a small show and was in September? I went in and there were few people there as it was a small show. I saw that Mauser again--and the same dealer I bought the Krag from--tables next to each others tables again.

I walked up to the Mauser dealer again--and again only had maybe $450 with me. I told him I was interested in buying that rifle but--needed to make two payments-since i had not enough on me. I also did not have a bank card at the time to be able to go to an ATM and get more money. He said nope--needed all the money at once. SO-I walked away went to the next table and saw a VERY nice AC-43 Walther P-38. I bought that handgun and again received an angry look from Mr. Schmidt. Heck, I cant help it if I bought a 2nd gun from the same seller from before and who also happened to have his tables next to Mr. Schmidts.

I walked away thinking I would never buy that Mauser-but didnt really care either. There were 3 more gun shows scheduled for 1997--and I was able to attend all three. The next was in Oct--I only bought afew books and spare magazines for other handguns I had at the time. I saw the Mauser dealer there-but kind of ignored him and went to another table whose seller was a friend of mine and was there about 2 hours.

While I ended up buying a Brown P-38 holster with the former owners name on it as well as the area he served in (Landshut) the Mauser dealer came up to me and asked if I stll wanted his rifle? I said I did but--same as before--HAD to do is in two payments. Again he said no--and said that many people were interested in it and claimed they would be back to buy it--well--turned out nobody came beck after i left the show. I figured it would have sold and thought no more on it.

I went again in November because my Boss allowed me time off to go look and look for a hunting rifle for him. Mr Schmidt was there and still had the rifle. I faked not being interested in it so never stopped by his table and went to go see another friend of mine selling off some of his rifles and wound up buying an BYF-41 P-38 w/ black grips. This was one of those supposed "Stalingrad Battlefield Pickups" was a bit rough but still nice and I think I paid maybe $325 for it??? After messing around with dealer friends of mine--I left.

Last show of the year--December and just after Christmas. Mr Schmidt was there ans still had the rifle. I figured I would try again once more and see if I could give him two payments. Nope--so I left the show.

The show I attended next was in Feb or March? I forget which? Anyway, I went and made the rounds with my friends there. I eventually made my way to the friend who sold me that "Landshut" holster and ignored Mr. Schmidt. That day--his wife was there with him and she was very pregnant and they also had an elderly gent with him who turned out to be that WWII vet who originally took the rifle. I stayed talking with my friend and Mr Schmidy and that Vet came up to me and Schmidt asked if I was still interested in the rifle? and I said I had just bought another gun and was short on cash and IF I decided to get the rifle? it would have to be made in two purchases. Mr. Schmidt said another person at the show was also interested in the rifle and was still there walking around looking. He wanted to know how long I was going to be around? and I said till probably closing since I was still waiting for another friend to show--Don Gillis--who also was the collector who offered me (about 2-3 years later) $25,000 for that rifle--which I turned down.

Anyway, it was almost closing and Schmidt approached me and asked me to his table. We went and I pawed the rifle trying not to drool over it and show my drooling. He had dropped the price by $800.00 and wanted $800.00--but in one payment. I told him that due to just spending over $300--I was short till my next check which was due in next week. He said he couldnt take two payments and I said well-I just do not have the $800 so I started walking away--when his wife stopped and chewed him out for losing a sale (I overheard her saying that and more) and she forced him into allowing me to make two payments. His wife also forced him to lower the price by $200-and he also had to pay the bill for shipping costs by UPS. I paid $400-and that rifle was mine. I sent the final amount next week like I said I could--I finally got a notice for missed delivery by UPS--thanks to my work schedule. Well, they attempted delivery I think twice more? and finally said I could either pick it up at their distribution center-or it was being shipped back to the dealer. I got that notice THE day it was due to be shipped back--and I had to call in sick from work to go fetch it. I got to the distribution center as it was being loaded onto the truck.

I talked them into getting my package and was a bit peeved because it was in a box whose end had ripped open and the stock was sticking out and couls have been damaged. It took about an hour of waiting and they got me my package--signed for it-then I opened it in the office with people staring and then left. The rest is history and from the time I got the rifle till late 2000--I ahd many collectors make various offers for the rifle--all of which I turned down.

?

I guess after being denied possesion of that rifle that many times, it must have been that rifles destiny to be in your hands!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing the story and good luck getting your duel port MP40. Just keep telling the dealer only if I can make 2 payments. Shit it worked the first time, why not give it another try. You should be able to get it at half price!!!! }8)
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by M14sRock View Post
    Persistence pays off!
    You can say that again ;-)) I also won a Bingo game last night for: $200.00. Now have some good money to spend on my Great Nieces and Nephews--for Christmas ;-)) The lady I go with--also won a brand new 32 inch Flat screen TV set.

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    I guess after being denied possesion of that rifle that many times, it must have been that rifles destiny to be in your hands!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing the story and good luck getting your duel port MP40. Just keep telling the dealer only if I can make 2 payments. Shit it worked the first time, why not give it another try. You should be able to get it at half price!!!! }8)
    Semper Fi
    Phil
    Heh heh, thank you on all accounts and, I needed a good laugh too ;-))

Sad thing is-I have not seen Mr. Schmidt at any local shows for about 5 years now. I wonder if he feels jinxed? or just busy raiding his kid? ;-))

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast