Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

World premier viewing of my super rare German Mauser Rifle variant.

Article about: Here if this works? is a photo my a German Mauser Sniper variant that I purchased some 15 years ago. It will be literally one of the mintest Mausers you will feat your eyes on. It has a 25 r

Default Re: World premier viewing of my super rare German Mauser Rifle variant.

I cant see that this is a Super rare Rifle. But the Magazine can post War. Can you make Pics from the Hülsenkopf and the other Stamps?

?

Quote by history-buff1944 View Post
    Here if this works? is a photo my a German Mauser Sniper variant that I purchased some 15 years ago. It will be literally one of the mintest Mausers you will feat your eyes on. It has a 25 round fixed, anstekmagazin. I can tell some of the history on this rifle if anyone is interested? A little for now: This rifle has had EXACTLY 50 rounds fired through it since it was built and has had four owners--im the last owner.

The man who Authored the excellent 2 volume series called: Backbone of the Wehrmacht (Richard Law) vol 2-on sniper rifles and their variants, has only two rifles in the book that come close to matching mine but still not exact and not nearly in the condition mine is in. Anyway, shortly after I purchased this rifle--I was contacted by someone who knew the author and said he was interested in updating his books and was wanting mine to be featured in vol 2. Sadly, the author passed away before anything could happen so-----this is the second time and image of this rifle is posted on the net. The first time was a few minutes ago on the war44 forums.

Hate to bust your bubble buff...but that 98k is a postwar fantasy . It has been refinished in wood & metal.... to include a non german sling attachment added to the bottom of the buttstock comb. And how pray tell is this abomination a "sniper ?" .
    Love to see pics of serial fonts , where they are placed and how someone made this fantasy someone else's 'reality".
    PS.... Richard Law was not a collector...he was studied in research and was by no means a hands on knowleadgeable firearms man. That's a known fact if you have been at this when he was around. Credit is given for his backboner first edition for it's value in breaking open to collectors not in the tight circle(s) alot of good information. But as well alot of bad information was passed on to include assumptions and opinions of some 'collectors' with egos and wallets that jaded they're reality of which some bought into.
    The book on sniper variations was probably one of the worst books put out there with myriads of bad info and some horrible fakes presented as real specimens. Even peter Senich's excellent book had some fake 'snipers' pictured in it . Buy the rifle and not the story.

?

Agree 110% with poster Gew98. The rifle is a fraudery, not something remotely rare.

Firstly, the rifle stock has been VERY poorly refinished - note the rounding to the bolt recess and other places, the uneveness of the finish and the sheen to the rifle, not to mention the black staining. In other words, the rifle was harshly sanded then coated in what may be poly-goop.

The metal looks refinished, though considering the poor photos, hard to determine (though the wood stands out like nuts on a steer). It does seem to be a Russian capture overall - but again, in the absence of better photos, impossible to tell. The swivel on the butt also indicates post-war Balkan/Turkish use - usually Turk.

The magazine is pure fantasy. IMA USA used to sell them - $75 I think back in the day?. All made up reproductions or conversions of MG mags.

Probably has had only 50 rounds in it, since these magazine setups are notorious for bad feeding and jamming

So, in a nut shell, and getting to the point:
    1. Rifle, likely a Turk surplus, post-WW2 modified, refinished (poorly) stock: $250 to $300 TOPS.
    2. Magazine: $75

Rarity - 1/10

Now, changing tack a little, MANY "Philippine Constabulary" Krag short rifles were made - though most NOT in the PI! Most were stateside "copies" usually done to Krags with damaged muzzles or worn barrels, most post-1960's. You will have a hard time proving it is a legitimate PI short rifle - need a LOT more info and pictures.

As Gew98 said - buy the RIFLE, not the stories. Seems you've been baited by the stories, and got burnt, sadly.

It might have been better if the unveiling of this 'super-rare' rifle had been put on hold until more photographs had been taken than just the one poor quality picture. As for the provenance, without the 'missing' paperwork to back up the claims, it is just a story attached to a rifle. I bet it's an absolute bitch to work that bolt with a full mag!

?

Here we go ...

Quote by DerStuermer View Post
    I cant see that this is a Super rare Rifle. But the Magazine can post War. Can you make Pics from the Hülsenkopf and the other Stamps?
    Im trying to get pics but cant till probably near Christmas? My Nephew has it in his gun safe and ive no camera. ;-))

Quote by gew98 View Post
    Hate to bust your bubble buff...but that 98k is a postwar fantasy . It has been refinished in wood & metal.... to include a non german sling attachment added to the bottom of the buttstock comb. And how pray tell is this abomination a "sniper ?" .
    Love to see pics of serial fonts , where they are placed and how someone made this fantasy someone else's 'reality".
    PS.... Richard Law was not a collector...he was studied in research and was by no means a hands on knowleadgeable firearms man. That's a known fact if you have been at this when he was around. Credit is given for his backboner first edition for it's value in breaking open to collectors not in the tight circle(s) alot of good information. But as well alot of bad information was passed on to include assumptions and opinions of some 'collectors' with egos and wallets that jaded they're reality of which some bought into.
    The book on sniper variations was probably one of the worst books put out there with myriads of bad info and some horrible fakes presented as real specimens. Even peter Senich's excellent book had some fake 'snipers' pictured in it . Buy the rifle and not the story.
    Hi and thanks for all this info. I was aware Law wasnt a collector but at the time I got his book--he was who the collectors I know were making a buzz about. I do mention in other threads--im no expert on anything--but I once DID have the info from the Vet and Gun seller--and I cant say anything for sure. Maybe they were "in on" something but I cant prove anything these days. The only thing I do know--is what was certified but I know those things can be lied about too. Anyway, as soon as I can? I definitely will try getting detailed pictures of it on line--I just dont know exactly when I can--being my rifle is in my Nephews gun safe and he works "Turnaround" for a refinery--working days and night shifts and out of town.

Anyway, I am open to anything new and that can be substantiated about this rifle even if it does turn out to be fantasy? I need anything I can get as I do not wish to present something as something special if it is not? One whose opinion if I sought it?) that I would not trust is craig gottlieb.

Quote by Lubeck View Post
    Agree 110% with poster Gew98. The rifle is a fraudery, not something remotely rare.

Firstly, the rifle stock has been VERY poorly refinished - note the rounding to the bolt recess and other places, the uneveness of the finish and the sheen to the rifle, not to mention the black staining. In other words, the rifle was harshly sanded then coated in what may be poly-goop.

The metal looks refinished, though considering the poor photos, hard to determine (though the wood stands out like nuts on a steer). It does seem to be a Russian capture overall - but again, in the absence of better photos, impossible to tell. The swivel on the butt also indicates post-war Balkan/Turkish use - usually Turk.

The magazine is pure fantasy. IMA USA used to sell them - $75 I think back in the day?. All made up reproductions or conversions of MG mags.

Probably has had only 50 rounds in it, since these magazine setups are notorious for bad feeding and jamming

So, in a nut shell, and getting to the point:
    1. Rifle, likely a Turk surplus, post-WW2 modified, refinished (poorly) stock: $250 to $300 TOPS.
    2. Magazine: $75

Rarity - 1/10

Now, changing tack a little, MANY "Philippine Constabulary" Krag short rifles were made - though most NOT in the PI! Most were stateside "copies" usually done to Krags with damaged muzzles or worn barrels, most post-1960's. You will have a hard time proving it is a legitimate PI short rifle - need a LOT more info and pictures.

As Gew98 said - buy the RIFLE, not the stories. Seems you've been baited by the stories, and got burnt, sadly.
    The thing on the photo of my rifle is that I was the one who took this photo which was in 2007 sometime-and I used a C-110 crap camera for it and am no photographer. Anyway, ill see if I can get in touch with the Gent who took the closeups of my rifle using a Studio Camera from a TV station to do so. He is more of an expert in most German stuff than I am.

Anyway, not trying to argue but the thing on what the finish looks like--might also be because of the camera I used as well as my non-skills in photography--the lighting and flash etc.

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    It might have been better if the unveiling of this 'super-rare' rifle had been put on hold until more photographs had been taken than just the one poor quality picture. As for the provenance, without the 'missing' paperwork to back up the claims, it is just a story attached to a rifle. I bet it's an absolute bitch to work that bolt with a full mag!
    Thanks and, if and when I can get my Nephew to take pics of it with a modern camera? ill gladly get the images posted here. On the paperwork--I have not seen it in years and is either lost or just in my stuff somewhere and I keep missing seeing it? I dont know?

I dont know about the bolt--ive never tried it nor even ever tried one dry-fire. On slings and such? ive no clue and admit it but looks like others ive seen whether or not they belonged on those rifles. As Mr. Schmidt doesnt seem to do gun shows in my area anymore? I dont know how to contact him.

One thing I MIGHT have going for me is that one of the gents at Collectors Firearms--did indeed like my rifle. I know those guys know the business atleast much better than I will, and they get many rarities in as I almost bought the Colt 45 belonging to a WWI Medal of Honor Recipient--late last year.

- - Updated - -

Quote by Ostmark View Post
    Here we go ...
    Done ;-)

?

As stated before i did not want to run into your parade, gentlemen like i will wait for better pics
    to make a final decision. When i have seen the magazin, even on the blurry pics it did not
    gave me a warm feeling. Reading your story how you bought the rifle, when this setup is so super rare
    then it would have sold in a second

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast