Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

World premier viewing of my super rare German Mauser Rifle variant.

Article about: Here if this works? is a photo my a German Mauser Sniper variant that I purchased some 15 years ago. It will be literally one of the mintest Mausers you will feat your eyes on. It has a 25 r

Default Re: World premier viewing of my super rare German Mauser Rifle variant.

It would really be better if you could find the paperwork to back up the story. It would then validate the claims about this rifle. I have a damaged Luger with an interesting story attached to it. But there is no way I can prove the claims. So it remains nothing more than just an interesting story.

Quote by Ostmark View Post
    As stated before i did not want to run into your parade, gentlemen like i will wait for better pics
    to make a final decision. When i have seen the magazin, even on the blurry pics it did not
    gave me a warm feeling. Reading your story how you bought the rifle, when this setup is so super rare
    then it would have sold in a second

Ill be more than happy to add anything when I can? I just dont know exactly when I can but will try in December. Also, it had me thinking on what the gentleman said about the bad finish--it has not been refinished nor had the wood furniture. Also, from an old photo taken by a poor photographer (me) I find it very interesting all kinds of things can be opined on about the rifle being IMA post-war created junk. I am well aware of IMA (and their new TV show) and that they are full of themselves and is why I never bought anything nor-will) from them.

I learned my lesson long ago on another forums where about 4 or 5 not knowledgable (not saying this about anyone here) who posted about my WWII German Generalmajors shoulderboards and collar tabs NOT being real-when in fact, I got these pairs through Don Gillis who had purchased a Generals estate from the family back in late 99 or early 2000--two large wooden crates full--and-I was there for the opening of said crates. Crate Nr 2-had 3-4 spare pairs of Generals collartabs--unused-as well as 2-3 pairs of Genmajs boards--unused or slightly used. I made a cash/trade for a pair of the tabs as well as boards. To make a long story short--those were real and the select members who bashed them--every one of them contacted my bt PM--and offered from between $50 to $200 for those caller tabs alone. Now--please tell my why I would be offered that amount if these were all faked?

Now to get back with that Mauser--I stated elsewhere that I do NOT--know what an A-98 or some of the others like the G-98, M-98--how they can differ from K-98s. So also that brings to mind at how one can tell so many bad things about a rifle based on one--old photo and also that if they may not be aware of any slight differences between the aformentioned other Mauser varieties?

I stated would like more info other than just an opinion and welcome any factual info. I was also not the one who researched this rifle-rather like I posted before--it was a nice gent named; Dieter Stenger.

Im in the process of trying to find another collector by the name of Trammel (SP?) who also owns a similar rifle and see if I can get any pics of his--which will also back up mine.

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    It would really be better if you could find the paperwork to back up the story. It would then validate the claims about this rifle. I have a damaged Luger with an interesting story attached to it. But there is no way I can prove the claims. So it remains nothing more than just an interesting story.
    Im trying. The only alternative I have is IF--I can find Mr. Schmidt and get in touch with him and get him to send me a copy--if he still has it? of the paper he and that Vet had validated attesting to that rifle. If I cna find Mr. Schmidt? if he is even still alive? ill gladly do so and post here. I already started searching for any paperwork as of last night-but nothing yet. Another thing I would like someone who may know here? is I would like to know why my rifle would have this serial number of: 261-T. I also plan a visit to the local F.B.I> office sometime next week, and see if I can get any assistance from them--or ideas. That's how serious I am on concluding doubts on this rifle.

IF the rifle turns out to be nothing more than a ""fantasy"" piece? I really dont care as its not for sale or trade anyway. I have not enjoyed it long enough and--IF I need to part with it? I already have local takers on it who have man-handled it-examined it at length-discussed it etx. I dont know if a search can be done by names but--I CAN provide names (in private) if expressed by anyone who feels the need to contact these gents? Then if so? you can also ask them about said rifle with my gratitude.

?

I can say your rifle is drastically refinished based upon your initial poor photo. The rounding and severe alteration to the bolt relief cutout is one obvious sign of significant refinishing. The addition of the bottom sling swivel is another.

I hold judgement on the metal for now (though have major doubts), but the wood is trashed.

Regardless of what you think this rifle is, it is drastically far from mint. I would rate it as amateur refinshed - poorly - and that degrades the value enormously. Also, suffice to say the rifle sat on the dealer's table all weekend when undoubtedly many respected Mauser collectors saw it speaks volumes too.

Do your research - you will quickly find what you have and don't have. Disregard the fables told to you about it and research instead. I took 5 minutes finding the magazine available this morning, so suggest you do too.

You also claim it to be a sniper - what mounts does it have? I bet it'll have swept back... the sniper guys will know what I mean when I say this and what it means...

Your rifle is afantasy piece. Collectible? NOT. Shooter, yes.

Quick answer - what code and year is the rifle? Not many of the producers experimented, so that'll help a lot too.

Quote by Lubeck View Post
    I can say your rifle is drastically refinished based upon your initial poor photo. The rounding and severe alteration to the bolt relief cutout is one obvious sign of significant refinishing. The addition of the bottom sling swivel is another.

I hold judgement on the metal for now (though have major doubts), but the wood is trashed.

Regardless of what you think this rifle is, it is drastically far from mint. I would rate it as amateur refinshed - poorly - and that degrades the value enormously. Also, suffice to say the rifle sat on the dealer's table all weekend when undoubtedly many respected Mauser collectors saw it speaks volumes too.

Do your research - you will quickly find what you have and don't have. Disregard the fables told to you about it and research instead. I took 5 minutes finding the magazine available this morning, so suggest you do too.

You also claim it to be a sniper - what mounts does it have? I bet it'll have swept back... the sniper guys will know what I mean when I say this and what it means...

Your rifle is afantasy piece. Collectible? NOT. Shooter, yes.

Quick answer - what code and year is the rifle? Not many of the producers experimented, so that'll help a lot too.

That seems to be the problem with all and final judgement based on one photo. The rifle was built in 1935, I cant remember the code but on next chat with my Nephew--I will ask him to look for me and let me know. All I know for facts are:

1) Dieter Stenger did the research and found my rifle is an actuality.
    2) Don Gillis and Les Shook--who are people I know and who do NOT--share their items on sites like this as they have collections that will make most here-look like beginners--do not show their stuff off due to negativity. Im not trying to make a bad argument--im merely trying to point out what ive been told by those who have pockets deeper than anyone here and who have been collecting such pieces for well over 40-50 years. I KNOW what ive seen in person from their collections and I KNOW--where my items come from and I KNOW--with whom I deal with. Also, I never--buy any story and always take them with a grain of salt.
    3) The rifle was priced above most weapons at the shows it was shown at. You have to remember-I am in an area where people do NOT--pay internet and huge City prices for things at local shows. Said rifle was played with by several people I know of and the moment I bought that rifle--Don NGillis was the first man to offer to buy it. I didnt sell because of just buying it. Before I decide to do anything with said rifle? I plan on enjoying it as much as possible even if I decide to make it a wall ornament.
    4) At local shows here and on what people so choose to buy and not to buy? I cannot answer for them--just myself. I know that no matter what I have to say on this rifle that I heard from the lips of others in person, that its NOT going to be enough to "sell" this to a few here.
    5) I bought this rifle based on the fact that I did not have a nicer Mauser rifle in my collection. At that time, I had a wartime produced but non-matching K-98--and I had 20 Mosin Nagants, 2 Walther P-38s-one was AC-42, the other was the one stolen from my collection as it was the RARE--early November BYF-41, I also had Lt.Gen Francis P. Hardaways 42 Remington Rand Colt .45, 1-TEC-9, 1-Isreali Uzi, a Street-sweeper, a so-called: ""Black Widow"" Luger, a mint--1906 made Colt .45 Single Action Army blacked finish with sandstone handles, my Grandfathers: 50 cal Longtoms, his 1894 Winchester, his 30-40, (which were captured in 1916 by killing a few of Pancho Villas bandits) and a couple of vintage .22s. What I do know--is what I like to collect. Sorry if I sound angry--im not and im not worried about this rifle as IF--I decide to sell it? I already know what I can get for it?

Im not going to discount what I have been told by gun collectors and gun dealers based on one opinion. Like I said, I am open to opinions and facts--and welcome it. Ive done research on the Mag--and do fully know they had been indeed-used on converting Mausers.

On the sniper part--its got a (I dont know if this is the correct terminology or not? on the left side is an area where you are to mount the mounts and the scope.

Anyway, on the code--I cannot remember but like I said, I will ask my Nephew to did it out and tell me next time we have a chance to chat on the phone. All I know is this rifle IS made in 1935. Ive already pointed out a few sources one can probably check on and do their own research.

Now--does anyone have a clue as to why there is such an odd-serial number? In all the weapons ive owned or handled in 45 years--I have never-not once-come across a weapon of any type and that was supposedly something to be mass-produced--that ever-had such an odd serial number. That has yet to be explained by anyone here or in private.

With what I have had, I do think I know a little on what a finish should look like. I admit I am not an expert on different finishes--but I do know what they look like on mint rifles as well as anything in between mint and just plain garbage. Ive had "ugly" weapons before and usually sold, traded or even gave them away once I found something even better.

BTW--was just offered a Walther P-38 with an unusual number on it of: 7777. This one is one in a bit "uglier" shape than I care for and for the price. I was offered this same Walther about 10 years ago through Don-and I turned it down then at $400. This last offer was for $2,500--and I dont know how they got such a value?

Sorry for being on and off track. However, I do know what I have been told by neutral parties about this rifle and I do know what I have been offered. You can believe it or not? I dont mind and will not be irritated by it. That said, ill post anything additional when I get it.

Best regards--HB.

?

That's fine, but some more...

Dropping names means really very little. I have never heard of any of these gentlemen, so cannot vouch one way or the other for their credibility. If you'd said Mike Steves or Bruce Karem or John Wall or Scott Bugan, I would tend to listen a little more to the story. But the names you mention mean nothing to me, and I have been at this a good while. (If you'd said Gottlieb, I'd be laughing myself silly!)

It certainly does not add credibility to the account either about your inability to elaborate. I am sure your reasons are legitimate, but I have seen it a HUNDRED times - cannot get to the rifle, camera is poor, I don't have a camera and so on ad infinitum for guys that really are out to deceive or eve outright lie through their teeth. Note, I am NOT accusing you of this.

Here's a few links to active (mods may remove) links showing the magaines:

(NEW) Mauser Gewehr 98/G98 TRENCH 8mm Magazine/Mag : Rifle Magazines & Rifle Clips at GunBroker.com

Mauser 98 20-rd. Steel Trench Magazine - 8mm : Rifle Magazines & Rifle Clips at GunBroker.com

8mm Mauser High Cap Rifle German Trench Magazine : Rifle Magazines & Rifle Clips at GunBroker.com

MAUSER 98 20 Round Aftermarket Detachable Magazine : Rifle Magazines & Rifle Clips at GunBroker.com

Note - most are new made. Previously, they converted MG13 magazines, but they started getting VERY desireable in themselves, so they started selling them unaltered

Here is a Yugoslav modified K98 with the same aftermarket hicap mag:

gi-20878 Yugo Mauser 98/48, 8mm w/25 rd magazine : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

(also drastically cleaned / "restored" poorly)

I can keep going... and Numrich / Gun Parts Corp still sells the magazines.

?

hist buff....it occurs to me you would be better off avoiding 'collecting' things you know little to nothing about in regards to german military small arms. From your last post it truly appears you got hoodwinked on this uber tacticool 98 mauser 'sniper'.
    Whomever gave you heads up on this rifle as a real deal needs their 'collecting creds' revoked. Whomever dieter stenger is matters little as common knowledge among studied collectors and researchers contradicts what you and this fellow choose to believe blindly.
    Instead of trying to find "another" example to "authenticate" your ideas why not just post detailed photos of your tacticool mauser ?.

?

I must have missed it - what was odd about the serial number?

In all the K98's I have had over the years - and that is MANY - I have had from lows (serial - 1 f - comes to mind) through multiple double-suffix ones (a few bb suffix for starters), some no suffix (my last high turret sniper didn't have a suffix, and it was 1945 production). None were unusual or special regarding a serial number.

The only ones I think that are special in regards to serials are those with an alpha-PREFIX letter to the serial, especially the S prefix.

I will say it one last time, and until there are other photos, I will not say any more - as it stands with what is visible, you have a bog-standard K98 (apparently 1935 production, which is not inherently rare, unless it is a specific maker), that was post-war messed with stock wise (militarily in Turkey, as well as civilian ruination with sandpaper and polyurethane, or worse, Truoil), MAY be metal refinished, and has had a commercially available REPRODUCTION/RECREATION WW1 trench magazine added to it, and probably sporterised scope mount holes on the left rail. All adds up to a $400 TOPS rifle.

PLEASE, whatever you do, don't go wagering your kids college funds or the farm or paying off credit cards debts with it, as you are going to be VERY VERY VERY sorely disappointed, as the rifle is VERY VERY far from what it is purported to be. Even if miraculously it WAS a sniper (before someone donked with the stock and added the honky magazine), without the proper matching rig, it is still not worth much, and EVERY single serial on the gun would have to match (and be ORIGINAL, not faked match).

As Gew98 said, in a word, you got hoodwinked, and believed what a well-trained salesman told you, and got advice from someone who claims to be an expert, yet no one in the long term collecting circles seems to know (and he of course doesn't wish to come online...).

Believe in it all you like, but please, do not make such enormously brash and bold statements about it without getting widespread critique and appraisal. So far, the pro arguments have been hear-say from people who we don't know and who apparently won't discuss things online.

Quote by Lubeck View Post
    That's fine, but some more...

Dropping names means really very little. I have never heard of any of these gentlemen, so cannot vouch one way or the other for their credibility. If you'd said Mike Steves or Bruce Karem or John Wall or Scott Bugan, I would tend to listen a little more to the story. But the names you mention mean nothing to me, and I have been at this a good while. (If you'd said Gottlieb, I'd be laughing myself silly!)

It certainly does not add credibility to the account either about your inability to elaborate. I am sure your reasons are legitimate, but I have seen it a HUNDRED times - cannot get to the rifle, camera is poor, I don't have a camera and so on ad infinitum for guys that really are out to deceive or eve outright lie through their teeth. Note, I am NOT accusing you of this.

Here's a few links to active (mods may remove) links showing the magaines:

(NEW) Mauser Gewehr 98/G98 TRENCH 8mm Magazine/Mag : Rifle Magazines & Rifle Clips at GunBroker.com

Mauser 98 20-rd. Steel Trench Magazine - 8mm : Rifle Magazines & Rifle Clips at GunBroker.com

8mm Mauser High Cap Rifle German Trench Magazine : Rifle Magazines & Rifle Clips at GunBroker.com

MAUSER 98 20 Round Aftermarket Detachable Magazine : Rifle Magazines & Rifle Clips at GunBroker.com

Note - most are new made. Previously, they converted MG13 magazines, but they started getting VERY desireable in themselves, so they started selling them unaltered

Here is a Yugoslav modified K98 with the same aftermarket hicap mag:

gi-20878 Yugo Mauser 98/48, 8mm w/25 rd magazine : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

(also drastically cleaned / "restored" poorly)

I can keep going... and Numrich / Gun Parts Corp still sells the magazines.
    I greatly appreciate these links and such but--they still leave a lot (for me) unanswered. When I dropped names--these are two Gents in my area who have been collecting all their lives--or most of their lives and are in a league of their own. For instance--I know the German dealer that Clint Eastwood buys from--kind of thing. These two are not the only two I know but--like you mentioned--unless you know names-they dont mean a thing. Im merely pointing out who i learned some things from and who ive also done business with and also that people like Don and Les-get various items in their collections that you and I cannot for one reason or another. also--when I posted my story about a few trying their best to nab my Generals insignia by claiming they were repo--which everyone involved fully well knew--they are originals) but were trashed openly on their site so if i were ever to decide to sell them off? I could not--which is also why I VERY rarely try to share any type of militaria I own. I dont have a lot of special stuff but do have researched--items that belonged to the 99 day Kaiser--as well as a long ribbon bar that once belonged to the Grand Duke of Mecklinburg-Schwerin and a few others including insignia once the property of a future WWII Field Marshal.

Anyway, in short--I appreciate yours and others sweat on this and I am learning something new daily. Now I will concede that at the time when I purchased this rifle or other certain items--that everyone involved might have been in error--but I see nothing intentional in misleading me--especially since they have deep pockets--and I do not. See where im coming from? I have posted only what I have been told, shown, allegedly proven by others who are "in the know" or allegedly "in the know."

One thing I am not trying to do--is to purposely mislead anyone on this and am stating things truthfully. Can you imagine me--coming up with the info that Dieter Stenger found? That would be the laugh of the Century ;-))

Anyway, I looked at those links provided but--though they were interesting--they still have as yet--been able to change my mind on things as well as prove those wrong on my rifle. You have to know that because of a couple past experiences ive had--im going to be cautious until I am absolutely without a doubt--correct or incorrect.

Maybe I did get burned? However, I never do go with one source on anything-learned that over 25 years ago and which is something that has saved my bacon more than once. This case in point--I have a full set up of an RK w/ Oaks, Swords and DIamonds--cased and the 57 version--and I do know who they had belonged to. I do have proof on these but--I am not going to show them off because I know someone will also bash these. I bought these from a dealer who is respected here and of course a member here.

Quote by gew98 View Post
    hist buff....it occurs to me you would be better off avoiding 'collecting' things you know little to nothing about in regards to german military small arms. From your last post it truly appears you got hoodwinked on this uber tacticool 98 mauser 'sniper'.
    Whomever gave you heads up on this rifle as a real deal needs their 'collecting creds' revoked. Whomever dieter stenger is matters little as common knowledge among studied collectors and researchers contradicts what you and this fellow choose to believe blindly.
    Instead of trying to find "another" example to "authenticate" your ideas why not just post detailed photos of your tacticool mauser ?.
    I usually do keep form collecting things in an area im not used to. The last case in point--is WWII American even though I did not get shafted on it--im just not aware of all the things you need to be aware of when it comes to that stuff too.

Ive spent hundreds of dollars buying books on German stuff--and that still is not enough.

But on the above, it is until one knows the collectors I know and goes to see their items, one cannot also put them off a beginners--same as I will not on any anyone refers to here. ;-))

On the rifle--its not "my ideas" its only what I have been told, what I have read, those I have talked with and what I have seen in books. When It all comes down to it--im not out to think I can pay for the kids College with that rifle--I have other things I know for fact are the real deal--that I cna always sell off--such as one of only two copies of the TV station issued 1995 Beatles Anthology poster. Of 163 ABC stations at that time, only 63 posters were printed and all but two returned and destroyed. I got mine through the Advertising exec of KIII here in my area and who also is a friend of mine. That posted sold at auction 6 months after the Anthology aired--for $5,000. I still have my poster and plan on holding onto it for a few years more ;-))

Other than music and autographs--I also collect vintage documents signed by Kings and Queens and other notables. ;-))

Another thing I have learned over the years is--that everyone has their own sources and opinions and such. I can get 10 people together and get ten different opinions. Now that the rifle has been publicly discussed--I stiil do not intend on getting rid of it for any reason. Same goes for my WWII German Generals insignia collection and other items.

A few other weapons I own will not be featured here but on the Old West forums I am on--which will be my WInchester-as well as SAA and such. I dont think these would be appreciated here.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast