Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

World premier viewing of my super rare German Mauser Rifle variant.

Article about: Here if this works? is a photo my a German Mauser Sniper variant that I purchased some 15 years ago. It will be literally one of the mintest Mausers you will feat your eyes on. It has a 25 r

Default Re: World premier viewing of my super rare German Mauser Rifle variant.

Quote by Lubeck View Post
    I must have missed it - what was odd about the serial number?

In all the K98's I have had over the years - and that is MANY - I have had from lows (serial - 1 f - comes to mind) through multiple double-suffix ones (a few bb suffix for starters), some no suffix (my last high turret sniper didn't have a suffix, and it was 1945 production). None were unusual or special regarding a serial number.

The only ones I think that are special in regards to serials are those with an alpha-PREFIX letter to the serial, especially the S prefix.

I will say it one last time, and until there are other photos, I will not say any more - as it stands with what is visible, you have a bog-standard K98 (apparently 1935 production, which is not inherently rare, unless it is a specific maker), that was post-war messed with stock wise (militarily in Turkey, as well as civilian ruination with sandpaper and polyurethane, or worse, Truoil), MAY be metal refinished, and has had a commercially available REPRODUCTION/RECREATION WW1 trench magazine added to it, and probably sporterised scope mount holes on the left rail. All adds up to a $400 TOPS rifle.

PLEASE, whatever you do, don't go wagering your kids college funds or the farm or paying off credit cards debts with it, as you are going to be VERY VERY VERY sorely disappointed, as the rifle is VERY VERY far from what it is purported to be. Even if miraculously it WAS a sniper (before someone donked with the stock and added the honky magazine), without the proper matching rig, it is still not worth much, and EVERY single serial on the gun would have to match (and be ORIGINAL, not faked match).

As Gew98 said, in a word, you got hoodwinked, and believed what a well-trained salesman told you, and got advice from someone who claims to be an expert, yet no one in the long term collecting circles seems to know (and he of course doesn't wish to come online...).

Believe in it all you like, but please, do not make such enormously brash and bold statements about it without getting widespread critique and appraisal. So far, the pro arguments have been hear-say from people who we don't know and who apparently won't discuss things online.
    For lack of time, to make a long reply short. I only repeat what im told--not inventing anything and not discounting anything. I mentioned above that maybe they told me what they knew of the rifle at that time, and im not calling them or anyone here liars over it. Dieter Stenger can be found on the net--and he I am sure--is welcome to anyone requesting info on this or something else. I stated in another post that at the time I was in contact with him, he was a USMC researcher and was located somewhere on the East Coast. Maybe the German info he got was wrong--or maybe he was? but--I also mentioned another person-who is a friend of mine--who is German, is a weapons expert who had served in the Gebirgsjagers (not in WWII) and who also supports my rifle as being authentic. He is not a member here, and rarely has time to be on the net.

When I can--I will get additional close=up photos of my rifle posted here. That is the only thing I can promise. I will try my best to get them here sometime this month--but do NOT know if I can. I dont know about others promising additional on anything--im not them and dont know what they promised. However, no--im no afraid of facts and IF--this is proven beyond any doubt to be a Czech repop--then I will admit I got ""hoodwinked.'' However, IF my case gets proven? then I also expect the same about my rifle. Ive seen numerous Mausers in my time too--buy only owned two. Im more into WWII American and Russian weaponry with the exception for German handguns. I have other weapons as well. ;-))

In the end--ill not delete photos of this rifle and if its deemed it should be deleted? Ill let the Admin decide the final issue.

?

Hist buff...... nothing personal but you ramble on a bit and the multitude of opinions you tout as the reason apparently nobody is correct does not hold water.
    I have owned gobs of original 98k's and turned them all into gew98's when I bored of them and 2nd war items in general 12/15 years ago. And mind you back then the fraud in german small arms was thriving then too. Which is the better part of why I got away from anything nazi era , not to mention the closet nazis in the 'hobby' I loathe.
    Whatever else you collect and will or won't share is non sequitir to this issue... the tacticool mauser. It just comes across as a distraction to derail the obvious problems with the 98k in question.

?

I guess there is a need to ramble on after making such a grandiose statement as "World premiere viewing of my super rare German Mauser Rifle variant". T'was a touch on the pompous.

Oh, if those who built these rifles in the 1930's-40's could hear what we talk about now-a-days....

What is the point of discussing it any further?...just wait for the new photos, all will be known in time.

?

Quote by cgp1066 View Post
    What is the point of discussing it any further?...just wait for the new photos, all will be known in time.
    I for one am not holding my breath waiting on clear concise pics of the ubergewehr.

?

I doubt they will eventuate, as in all honesty, I think the OP now knows the stark truth of the matter.

My opinion - put it on Gunbroker, try to recoup some of the $800.

Quote by gew98 View Post
    Hist buff...... nothing personal but you ramble on a bit and the multitude of opinions you tout as the reason apparently nobody is correct does not hold water.
    I have owned gobs of original 98k's and turned them all into gew98's when I bored of them and 2nd war items in general 12/15 years ago. And mind you back then the fraud in german small arms was thriving then too. Which is the better part of why I got away from anything nazi era , not to mention the closet nazis in the 'hobby' I loathe.
    Whatever else you collect and will or won't share is non sequitir to this issue... the tacticool mauser. It just comes across as a distraction to derail the obvious problems with the 98k in question.
    Much appreicated. I know I always give unabridged postings on things--bad habit but-=--I do so in order to give examples of what I deal with or learn etc ;-))

Im about all in for other areas of collecting to try to center in one main area--WWII. Ive lost the steam for Imperial collecting and are about to get rid of most of what I have less a few items. Im getting old and tired too. Starting to lose interest in the internet as a whole and not becaus eof anything going on here.

Quote by Lubeck View Post
    I guess there is a need to ramble on after making such a grandiose statement as "World premiere viewing of my super rare German Mauser Rifle variant". T'was a touch on the pompous.
    Lubeck, consider it what you wish. I did the title of the thread as I saw fit BECAUSE of what I had then known and had been told. I dont care if you consider it pompous or not? and this makes it even more so that I will not take one opinion which has NOT--been based only on facts. I dont deal with gun broker but deal with other places. In the least--the rifle will go to my Nephews--everything else im keeping. Recently bought a WWII PPS-43 fully auto. Oh and, this one isnt a fantasy or repo--good day ;-))

Quote by gew98 View Post
    I for one am not holding my breath waiting on clear concise pics of the ubergewehr.
    They will get here when I can get them taken--is all I can say. Doubt whatever you wish--I really dont mind nor care. I know what I have and I know what I can get for it and I know who I can sell it too when or if--I need to.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast