Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 Colt? Opinions Appreciated

Article about: Hi Folks, I was hoping that someone here could help me out with a purchase that I am wanting to make. I have never owned a colt and wanted to add one to my collection. From what the owner to

Default WW1 Colt? Opinions Appreciated

Hi Folks, I was hoping that someone here could help me out with a purchase that I am wanting to make. I have never owned a colt and wanted to add one to my collection. From what the owner told me, it is a WW1 Colt but was perhaps modified during WW2. He provided decent pictures and it looks good overall to me. His asking price was $2000 with some flexibility. I have no reference point really in knowing if this is a fair price or what. Any help or opinions would be welcome.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Colt? Opinions Appreciated   WW1 Colt? Opinions Appreciated  

WW1 Colt? Opinions Appreciated   WW1 Colt? Opinions Appreciated  

?

JerryB52,

Sorry I can't help with whether the asking price is good or bad but I did look up the serial number in the Colt database and it was manufactured in 1918, so that's good.

Tom

Thanks for the info on the serial. I collect mainly lugers and K98's so I am clueless if I am looking at a $1000 gun or a $5000 gun

Grips removed
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Colt? Opinions Appreciated   WW1 Colt? Opinions Appreciated  

Nice gun! The frame and slide are from WWI. The grips and finish are from WWII. It should have had wood grips and a blue finish. It looks like the mainspring housing is correct for WWI era. This would not be for me if I was looking for a WWI correct gun. More of a WWII collector piece. I am bothered by no re-arsenal marking that I can see and not having any info on the barrel. Assuming barrel is good and is USGI replaced during rebuild I would be in the $1,200 range. That may be a bit low but only a little. Does not fill a WWI collection but does fill a Colt WWII rebuild collection. So you will have to decide what interests you most.
    John

Thanks for giving me a range to work with. I think he had some flexibility but I am not sure there was that much flexibility. I think I saw a faint AA stamp on the front slide stop for rework. I originally wanted a WW2 M1911 but this is one of the things that came up with a few trading friends. I am glad to know it leans more toward WW2.

Thanks for sharing with us Jerry. I got to fire one of these vintage Colts years back. They sure are a blast to fire and hold a piece of history in your hand.