Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Ww1 mg 08

Article about: Thanks for asking - after all this time I am still looking for the deck tools :>(

Default re: WW1 MG 08

Ww1 mg 08Ww1 mg 08here's some more close ups

?

Thanks Baz. Will you do the same sort of work on the sled mount?

As to the gun which bits specifically need replacing?

Mark

Ww1 mg 08Ww1 mg 08Ww1 mg 08Ww1 mg 08 You can see the rust & damage that needs attention

?

Ok I have seen your other images Baz. As I can tell you have still 2 choices. To replace broken or missing parts is going to be very expensive. For example on an auction in the States a complete rear trigger assembly is already at US$400 and rising. Your current trigger assembly is as we see. Fussee cover's go also for US$400 plus and yours has some holes. So the question of how much repair is only one you can answer. If you buy new pieces you are going to have a mix of new and ''damaged'' which will not look good in my opinon. Top covers are common, feedblocks are very expensive and muzzle assemblies also costly. Maybe it does not help you, but if this was for sale I would personally buy it as is, and leave as is. Of course any further rusting needs halting and then what is left well and truly preserved and she will still look great. Did you say she would be removed from outside and kept under cover? I really do think that is the best option, visually she will still look good and as a justified and honourable memorial she has and will continue to do her job. Of course another option if funds are not the issue is replace the whole memorial with a 'new' one as they are still readily available.
    Mark

Ww1 mg 08Ww1 mg 08Ww1 mg 08Ww1 mg 08Ww1 mg 08 the rusty legs make it really wobbly

?

Thanks for the extra pictures, our emails are crossing in the post :>) I am convinced more than ever she should now stay as is as key parts on both the gun and sled are broken, and as individual items expensive. Yes there is an awful lot of rust and damage and it may be trying to clean may reveal significant structure issues too. Visually it is still fit for purpose.

Interestingly the mount still has its inner shield which appears welded in by the looks of things. If you/the council decide to sell and buy a replacement let me know as I would certainly make an offer. It is of no suprise I like the 'relic' look, unless it is my wife of cse.
    Mark

Attachment 377614Attachment 377615Attachment 377616Attachment 377617Attachment 377618
    As you can see, we liberated the gun to fix the wobbly legs. Thank you mark for the pricing, but our "hometown gun" will be fixed up and not replaced. I'll keep you all up to date with the work as it progresses.

looks like these ones never came out....damn! I'll reload

Ww1 mg 08Ww1 mg 08
    I'll keep trying to reload...LOL

Ww1 mg 08Ww1 mg 08Ww1 mg 08Ww1 mg 08I hope these come up....

well, Now we've started to take her apart to repair the legs....Most pieces are painfully slow to get apart, but gentleness and lots of penetrating oil is working. We'll get the nasty stuff blasted and fix the legs & repair what is really bad, but i agree with you mark, she needs to be left as original as possible. we'll try to keep her in her glory. Thanks again. Regards, Baz

Oh, yeah, she'll be going back to where she lives, outside, at the cenotaph, next to the Howitzer. This cenotaph is located near a school, so it has to be made safe, because kids will crawl over it year round.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast