Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Ww1 mg 08

Article about: Thanks for asking - after all this time I am still looking for the deck tools :>(

Default re: WW1 MG 08

Ww1 mg 08
    The elevation gearbox worked perfectly, except the 95 year old grease had long since dried up. A good washing and a thorough repacking will ensure it will be good for the next time somebody opens this little time capsule
    Ww1 mg 08
    A new pan was fabricated after the old one was carefully removed and returned to the legion
    Ww1 mg 08
    Rivets close to original were found, and a tool was made to fit in our air hammer. The original holes were used to fit the pan

Ww1 mg 08
    new covers were fabricated for these small boxes near the front of the sled
    Ww1 mg 08
    new side panels were constructed. The original was missing on one side, the other side very rotten
    Ww1 mg 08
    After blasting, the rear legs were reconstructed using 1/4" x 1" mild steel, hand bent to fit inside the original channel. We chose to "box in" the legs where they were damaged, as it would be very costly to faithfully reproduce the channels, and obtain the strength required. The lower portions of both front legs were repaired in the same manner.
    This shot shows how the original leather pad supports are attached using button head bolts. The bolt hex will be welded up & ground smooth to replicate the original rivets
    Ww1 mg 08
    centre of rear legs

Great stuff!

Ww1 mg 08
    i was able to machine a new side that had been long broken off, and fit & welded it

Ww1 mg 08

Ww1 mg 08
    details that really showed well after sandblasting were captured in case the painter filled it all in

Ww1 mg 08

Ww1 mg 08
    We chose to only slightly "fix" the dents that were a combination of vandalism and battle wounds. It was the most diffuclt decision, as to how far to "restore" the gun. We tried to leave the battle worn look, but still not leave it too battered looking.

Ww1 mg 08
    here is the new box & pan

Ww1 mg 08

first time out in the sunlight before the painter took it

Ww1 mg 08
    handles were spun out of white oak. Knurled brass handle tops replaced broken/missing steel ones. We KNOW that this deviates from original, but on display, it looks nice.

Ww1 mg 08
    This guard was completely rusted through and the new fabrication was graciously engraved by ELITE Guage & Tool, here in Beamsville.

Very nice work.

Ww1 mg 08
    Although close to original in appearance, this muzzle flash arrestor was made with public safety in mind....No sharp edges, no place for a child's finger to catch, and nothing to tear clothing on. Because the muzzle was missing, I chose to comprimise.

The gun was then disassembled and sent for paint. it came back the WRONG colour. i got out my paintgun, and gave it another blast of paint with army green, then re-assembled it for a final coat. you can see all the spots I missed, and all the scratches from assembly over semi wet paint.
    Ww1 mg 08

Ww1 mg 08

Ww1 mg 08

Ww1 mg 08

Ww1 mg 08
    Holes in concrete fixed...Blame hurricane sandy for all the fresh leaves...it was windy & rainy around here!

Ww1 mg 08
    dont say we all don't want to drive around with a machinegun in the back of our truck! I did!

Ww1 mg 08

gun finally resumes her guard over our cenotaph, like she has since 1921 or so

Ww1 mg 08
    What a good turnout we had for rememberance day
    Ww1 mg 08

Ww1 mg 08

Ww1 mg 08

Ww1 mg 08
    The handles were stained and varnished with whatever I could squeeze out of the first woodworking hobbiest that stumbled in my shop...LOL

THE END

One more thing, I'd like to thank Mr Mark Finneran for his assistance & guidance when I first came here to the forum looking for help. His knowledge of availability of parts, and pricing led me in a direction I assumed, but he gave me the confidence to take on this project. He also cautioned me NOT to restore the gun, and I personally believe he is right, although this being a display, and as rough as it was, the choice had to be made to make it safe, and to preserve it for a few more years.

Thank you, Mark.

Fantastic work!

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast