Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

WW1 SMLE Sniper - Opinions Please

Article about: Hello all, I'm interested in a WW1 SMLE Sniper that Arundel Militaria have for sale but would appreciate opinions/views. Super Rare WW1 SMLE Sniper Rifle - Allied Deactivated Guns - Deactiva

Default Re: WW1 SMLE Sniper - Opinions Please

At the end of the day, you could argue that any Lee Enfield was designed to be a weapon to kill humans but we are allowed them on section 1. Did you know that the home office has now authorised the ownership of the L1A1 SLR converted to straight pull? They are a conversions of original L1A1s not made from new parts, the barrel is a new Walther made item with no gas port and the bolt and carrier are modified so that the semi auto parts will no longer fit.

Here is a link to the makers of the current crop of live De-Lisles in the UK

http://www.cgfirearms.co.uk/Detailed...British+Rifles

You can get quite a variety of military weapons now in the UK as long as its straight pull, theres a company called CPG Design that have a lot of interesting firearms available such as those based on the M16/M4 Design and Steyr AUG's.

Thanks

Danny

I believe the M16/M4 type are new made items rather than conversions. The law basicly states that once a section 5, always a section 5 (Except deacs and reclassed obsolete weapons etc.) and as the M16/M4 series is still in production, they are made from new with the Semi and full auto functions removed and modified as required. The modified L1A1s are as close to the line as you can probably get but the FSS have stated that they are to be classed as newly made and suitably modified as not to be readily convertable. I'm also told that there is a modified Bren in the pipeline, the barrel will be the original, bored out and a new Lothar Walther barrel, I'm unsure if these will be .303 Brens or the 7.62mm L4A4 LMG.

Quote by davejb View Post
    Although a very nice weapon, i believe the sling should be slightly longer as there isnt enough to wrap around the arm sniper style.
    Dave............rubbish!
    As a time-served and qualified Marksman, who's shot for his branch, service and country..................."sniper" slings are mounted on standard sling swivels using standard slings (it's the way you set them up) I'm sure there are 1001 variations and after-market bastardisations on the subject, but a sharp-shooter and sniper is judged on what he, Or in rare occasions "she" can do..........................with stock parts/weapons.
    I had the privelidged advanatge in my youth to watch MY OWN SMLE be hi-jacked from me by a 5'3" WWI sniper vet and watch him pick-off man-sized targets at 700 meters on standard leaf sights."sniper set-up" what a load of b****CKS!

I'm not sure about the WW1 Enfield Snipers but the WW2 Lee Enfield No.4 T sniper rifle did have a diffrent sling. It was however a standard American service sling fitted to the standard Enfield sling swivels but could be fitted to a special target type swivel mounted to the forward trigger guard screw when required. This enabled the sniper to use the sling as a brace, I'm sure someone must have the manual to hand.

just my point!@ We used to use the 37 patt. sling set up on JuST the left arm "sniper-style" as many like to put it...........but it was nothing more than a standard allied sling on a standard allied weapon.................there were even 37 patt slings with US "claw" mounts to ease this further.

Mike

?

Quote by davies435 View Post
    Dave............rubbish!
    As a time-served and qualified Marksman, who's shot for his branch, service and country..................."sniper" slings are mounted on standard sling swivels using standard slings (it's the way you set them up) I'm sure there are 1001 variations and after-market bastardisations on the subject, but a sharp-shooter and sniper is judged on what he, Or in rare occasions "she" can do..........................with stock parts/weapons.
    I had the privelidged advanatge in my youth to watch MY OWN SMLE be hi-jacked from me by a 5'3" WWI sniper vet and watch him pick-off man-sized targets at 700 meters on standard leaf sights."sniper set-up" what a load of b****CKS!
    WHOA there tiger, ill open my mouth a bit wider and you can jump in with both feet, how about that!!!, first off i dont think i deserve such a vicious attack as that and if you cant behave like a reasonable responder dont bother, as for being a marksman i was one before you were born, both cadets and TA having shot at Bisley, Ash and Hythe ranges, i never said you HAD to use the sling but the sling looked shorter than the ones i used and i used them on no/4s, as for priveledged users i used to watch my father shoot without sling and telescopic sight and still score a bull every time and he was the 3rd best shot in England before and during the war years and taught marksmanship, so he didnt shoot mansized targets he shot at regular targets and with groupings of 4" to 6" over the same distances all within the central bull, for target shooting to obtain our markmanship we used the sling wrapped around the arm and pulled tight so when the bolt was pulled back there was very little movement at all and to me the slings were a bit bigger, if you disagree fine, but dont bad mouth me , i dont swear at any member here and i certainly dont expect it from someone whos only just joined, we try to behave like gentlemen on this site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2