Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

WW2 1911, plus spainish American war revolver?

Article about: Hello guys, Couple of new pistols at my job. First, 1911 Ithaca 1944. Missing mag. Question about this one... Are the parts correct for ww2 and the finish? I do not have any ww2 handguns. (F

Looks very nice! Thanks for sharing! Great that it is a family piece. Looks pretty darn close.

Quote by lithgow View Post
    Hello-the M1911A1 is a refurb-original barrels were in bright metal-most of these were refurbed post WW2 as they stayed in US service until the 1990s and were widely distributed as military aid to various allies around the world as well. Still collectable though-every one wants an M1911A1!
    Thanks for the info!

2 very nice guns.

?

Hey Dan,
    So this looks like it is referred to as a 44 DA Frontier. Just over 15,000 were made. Now look on the barrel and see if it says" 44 WINCHESTER CTG".

Here is a pic of one I found and it is quite obvious your is ALOT btter looking. I keep searching for better pic's

Here I found some more info about that beauty of yours
    American Rifleman | Smith & Wesson .44 Double Action First Model

Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Hey Dan,
    So this looks like it is referred to as a 44 DA Frontier. Just over 15,000 were made. Now look on the barrel and see if it says" 44 WINCHESTER CTG".

Here is a pic of one I found and it is quite obvious your is ALOT btter looking. I keep searching for better pic's

Here I found some more info about that beauty of yours
    American Rifleman | Smith & Wesson .44 Double Action First Model

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Excellent info Phil! Will have to check! Thanks!

?

You are welcome Dan. When I got mine from my Grandmother. I took it to a local gun shop and they made me some 44 Russian from 44 special brass. The latter is just a little bit longer. They trimmed the case and reloaded them with BP and I was off to the range. It was a very nice experience to fire a pistol my Great Grandfather carried. One thing to keep in mind is that these were nickle plated and that process is plating the steel with copper and then Nickle. Cleaners like Hoppes'#9 are made to remove copper fouling and that will have a deteriorating effect to the undercoat of the nickle finish.
    Once again, Love that break top!!!
    Congrats on picking that one up
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    You are welcome Dan. When I got mine from my Grandmother. I took it to a local gun shop and they made me some 44 Russian from 44 special brass. The latter is just a little bit longer. They trimmed the case and reloaded them with BP and I was off to the range. It was a very nice experience to fire a pistol my Great Grandfather carried. One thing to keep in mind is that these were nickle plated and that process is plating the steel with copper and then Nickle. Cleaners like Hoppes'#9 are made to remove copper fouling and that will have a deteriorating effect to the undercoat of the nickle finish.
    Once again, Love that break top!!!
    Congrats on picking that one up
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Thanks for the info, never been that into hopes.. I will Just put on a nice layer of clp collector oil.

1911A1. that has been Arsenal refurbished. Note the ordnance stamp. Ithaca had a small contract to make these. The Production numbers were nothing like Colt and Remington .
    Like was mentioned before. A lot of these were surplus after the war. Production on the 45 was halted in I think 1956 as the government contracts ran out. The US military had ran on stored surplus 45’s up until they were deemed obsolete when the M9 came in. Every WWII Collector should have one. Just my opinion…..

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

MAP
    ?

Quote by guns ltd View Post
    1911A1. that has been Arsenal refurbished. Note the ordnance stamp. Ithaca had a small contract to make these. The Production numbers were nothing like Colt and Remington .
    Like was mentioned before. A lot of these were surplus after the war. Production on the 45 was halted in I think 1956 as the government contracts ran out. The US military had ran on stored surplus 45’s up until they were deemed obsolete when the M9 came in. Every WWII Collector should have one. Just my opinion…..

John
    Agree with you John, should be in every collection and one day I hope to get one.

My question, would a pistol like this be considered acceptable to be in a WWII collection? I guess it is similar to the Garand, where almost all were sent back to be refurbed after the war.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

yes. I would say so.
    As you said.
    The Garands were done the same way. Mainly for storage for the next war.

John
    Quote by MAP View Post
    Agree with you John, should be in every collection and one day I hope to get one.

My question, would a pistol like this be considered acceptable to be in a WWII collection? I guess it is similar to the Garand, where almost all were sent back to be refurbed after the war.

Michael
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast