Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

WW2 Aluminium K98 Mauser Stock? What's it for?

Article about: I saw this on Ebay and wondered what it was (I'm aware that it is a K98 stock!!) I'm not bidding on it so I'm not concerned whether it's orginal or not but it was obviously made for a reason

Default Re: WW2 Aluminium K98 Mauser Stock? What's it for?

This is a stab in the dark but could it be a copy, ie, the part fitted to a machine that makes identical copies from wood, or some sort of tooling?

I'd have to go with what M3booby has said, if you look up a stock duplicating machine you might see what I'm thinking.

Thanks

Danny

Good guess, M3. The only problem though, are the drilled holes in the butt.
    This would have created pocks or holes in the copied wood stocks.

Perhaps they were drilled later to make the stock lighter for sporting use
    - but then there would be no need for a WaAmt marking.

Curious..................!
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 05-31-2011 at 01:09 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

Is it just me . . . as this looks very much like a wood stock that's
    been sprayed with aluminum paint! The seller is pointing out that
    the rare resin stocks go big money which is correct . . then he
    starts the bidding at 40 British pounds. I think he's pulling our
    leg!!!

Ron B(USA)

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Alex, you can buy a whole range of fake WaA stamps at Beltring every year.

Cheers, Ade.
    Ade, Just what is beltring? I tried looking it up but zilch. Ron

I sent the pictures to a K98 collector I have known for a few years (this guy is an absolute expert on the matter) and asked him if he knew of any K98 stock, experimental stock, pre war, post war or even war periode has ever been made of aluminium.
    He sent me a rather funny email back asking me where the pictures were, as on the pictures I sent him there was no such thing visible.
    According to him what we see is an original wooden Mauser stock with wholes drilled in it. The stock is not hollow aluminium as we thought, but if you look closer it's just a plain beaten up painted wooden stock with wholes drilled in it. He also stated that if this was an original German piece, pre war or war periode, at least they would have drilled the wholes with the same space in between, and not random wholes all over the place without any logical patern or lines. It might as well not even be a German war time stock, and in his opinion it is complete wurthless, nothing to do with a rare experimental piece that should be in any seriuos military collection, but in a "star track" collection.

Quote by Feuerbach View Post
    I sent the pictures to a K98 collector I have known for a few years (this guy is an absolute expert on the matter) and asked him if he knew of any K98 stock, experimental stock, pre war, post war or even war periode has ever been made of aluminium.
    He sent me a rather funny email back asking me where the pictures were, as on the pictures I sent him there was no such thing visible.
    According to him what we see is an original wooden Mauser stock with wholes drilled in it. The stock is not hollow aluminium as we thought, but if you look closer it's just a plain beaten up painted wooden stock with wholes drilled in it. He also stated that if this was an original German piece, pre war or war periode, at least they would have drilled the wholes with the same space in between, and not random wholes all over the place without any logical patern or lines. It might as well not even be a German war time stock, and in his opinion it is complete wurthless, nothing to do with a rare experimental piece that should be in any seriuos military collection, but in a "star track" collection.
    Great investigating Feuerbach. Glad to have heard from you this quick. Thanks,Ron

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2