Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

ww2 German grenade launcher or silencer?

Article about: can anyone identify this device? it is a little under 10" long it appears to fit the muzzle of a firearm the tube on the end has a fine thread to screw it on; there is a 3/8" hole

Default Re: ww2 German grenade launcher or silencer?

Quote by Gary Cain View Post
    It definately has the look of a suppressor but I would hazard a guess that it is not for a K98k. My guess would be for an MP-40 or similar SMG. Now if the Germans had developed a special sub-sonic round for the K98k (I am unaware of one but maybe Bill knows of one?) then yes it would work for that as well.

Gary
    subsonic ammunition obviously helps reduce the sound level, but it is by no means essential for an effective suppressor. that attachment is for the 98k and mp 43 44 series weapons(although not the mp 43/1)...

Actually subsonic ammo makes a big difference because it eliminates the distictive crack that regular ammo makes when it breaks the sound barrier. Sure, the silencer may muffle the sound of the powder exploding, but it cannot stop the crack, only subsonic ammo will avoid that.

Quote by Peter S View Post
    Actually subsonic ammo makes a big difference because it eliminates the distictive crack that regular ammo makes when it breaks the sound barrier. Sure, the silencer may muffle the sound of the powder exploding, but it cannot stop the crack, only subsonic ammo will avoid that.
    i know that but the fact is a suppressed supersonic round sounds different enough from non suppressed that it is difficult to detect where it came from, if it is perceived as a shot at all, see the suppressors for the m16s used with a fair degree of success in vietnam.

I was unaware of the subsonic ammo for the 98k so thank you for that piece of enlightenment! The reason why the subsonic ammo is needed for this suppressor is because of the small size of the expansion chamber. A full power round through this would stand a fair chance of blowing it apart due to the pressure generated. Introduce the subsonic round and that particular problem goes away. The same is true for the STG series. The ammunition is small enough that a pressure overload is not a problem. As far as the sound goes it is true that you don't need to use subsonic ammunition (I actually used to own a Ciener suppressor for my M-16) and when my friends and I tested it you could hear the bullet quite easily(obviously) but you could only determine the azimuth of the shot. It was common to be 180 degrees off in where we thought the projectile came from.

Cheers
    Gary

Hello collector friends,

it is definitely a silencer for a K98k. There were different models for different guns. The marking "L 26" tells us, that it is a silencer for a K98k.

Here are some other model types listed:
    L31, L32 = silencer for pistol CZ 27,
    L23, L25, L26, L27, L53 = silencer for the K98 k,
    L41, L42, L43 = silencer for the smg MP 40,
    L63, L64 = silencer for the MG 42.

Here is a link to a German auction site:

Hermann Historica - Internationales Auktionshaus für Antiken, Alte Waffen, Orden und Ehrenzeichen, Historische Sammlungsstücke

Greetings from Austria

Christian
    Sammlung CHRISTIAN KADA - P38 , Luger , Mauser, byf , WaA , Heereswaffenamt ...

Jan
    ?

what are the SS-TV cartridges for?

Totenkopf verbaende.
    Quote by Jan View Post
    what are the SS-TV cartridges for?

Quote by Don Tarasoff View Post
    can anyone identify this device?
    it is a little under 10" long
    it appears to fit the muzzle of a firearm
    the tube on the end has a fine thread to screw it on; there is a
    3/8" hole in the centre of the tube

the two hinged pieces attached by the threaded screw are marked
    S499 and the bottom of the is marked L 26. No acceptance marks

it has been suggested it may be an early grenade launcher
    Although many types of 'Schalldampher' were
    experimented with during WWII by the Germans, a very limited number were accepted and even
    the field tested types didn't usually have WaA's.
    The closest type to yours is attached, but it
    differs significantly.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ww2 German grenade launcher or silencer?  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2