Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1935 graf zeppelin cigarette case

Article about: Hi, I've been offered an original souvenir cigarette case. This things were bought onboard whenever a trip was done. This particular case seems to be engraved Von Schiller (Captain) and Preu

Default 1935 graf zeppelin cigarette case

Hi, I've been offered an original souvenir cigarette case. This things were bought onboard whenever a trip was done. This particular case seems to be engraved Von Schiller (Captain) and Preuss (Engineer). The seller is asking 1500usd and I have not seen enough items of this kind to compare. I am most grateful for any opinions whether it's a fair deal or not. Thanks!!
    By the way: case is stamped 935. Onix stone seems likely for the opening button and three stones at the front where the cities RIO-PERNAMBUCO-HAMBURG are detailed. Just one small gem missing for BERLIN. Excellent condition though.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1935 graf zeppelin cigarette case   1935 graf zeppelin cigarette case  

1935 graf zeppelin cigarette case   1935 graf zeppelin cigarette case  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1935 graf zeppelin cigarette case
    P
    Many

Default Re: 1935 graf zeppelin cigarette case

This isn't worth anything close to $1500 in my opinion...

I actually like it. My father bought back a cigarette case from Germany in the early 50's when he served over there. The case had an embossed map of the occupied zones of Germany, complete with different coloured enameling for the various zones, cities and rivers engraved on it. This case was remarkably similar to the one here in the style of the raised map and engraving. I would say the case is German made.

As for the dedication engraved inside, I believe this too is genuine, as an almost identical 'loose' art deco style of of the engraved script can be found on many WW1 and later cases and match safes in the same way.

I'm sticking my neck out, but I reckon it's good, there's far to much contempary detail that forgers would not, I believe be able to replicate as well as this, it does have quality, and it was the sort of commemorative item popular during the period of route proving Trans Atlantic Zeppelin travel for wealthy passengers. Just look at White Star, Cunard, P&O and other souvenir items of the period; the case is of the same type of memento.

As for the price, I can't really comment, but there are serious collectors who would buy it at that.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks guys for both answers. I reckon sometimes a piece is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Before that price is nothing but a speculative issue. Interesting.

1935 graf zeppelin cigarette case1935 graf zeppelin cigarette case1935 graf zeppelin cigarette caseNice item. I have enclosed some flight information that you might like.What we have here is the flight information (in brackets) and the post marks that were used on this flight for the mail.I have never seen one of these but I think it is absolutely authentic if the case was sold on the flight the total number of available cases would be less than 100. So if rarity is a point of worth I think the price is very good.Some postal covers from this flight sell for thousands of dollars.

Operaman, that´s great info you posted. If you happen to have page 230 scanned as well, we might have the return trip (Friedrichshafen/Rio) as well! You know, my grandmother flew the same ship in 1936 from the Berlin Olympics 8/10 to 12/10. I have her flight book with me. Von Schiller was the Kommandant also.

Hey Otter,I have attached the 1936 flight schedule and some examples from my collection from around the time your relative was flying across the world.The Berlin Olympic Flight was on the Hindenburg August 1936. I have some Olympic mail if you would like to see.What is so neat about the Zeppelin flights is that every one had a different cachet and cancellation This is for the Hindenburg and the Graff Zeppelin
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1935 graf zeppelin cigarette case   1935 graf zeppelin cigarette case  

1935 graf zeppelin cigarette case   1935 graf zeppelin cigarette case  

1935 graf zeppelin cigarette case  

Please someone correct me if I am wrong... Pruss was not Hindemburg s Captain by the time of the disaster? He even survived that mess to die peacefully many years later... He seems to have commanded this LZ127 return trip!

I have to agree with Ned. I like this case as well. They made all kinds of souvenirs for the Zep flights-some of them were just mind boggling! This case is certainly quite credible!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."