Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Adolf Hitler plaque

Article about: Can anyone tell me about this plaque. Weighs about 26 pounds and 16x10 inches in size.

Default Re: Adolf Hitler plaque

Im not a expert or do I collect this kind of stuff. Is there anything I should be looking for on the plaque? I can ad more pictures.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Adolf Hitler plaque
    P
    Many

Is there any markings I should look for?

Look closely on the back(this may be difficult due to the oxidation and aging) and see if there are Any foundry marks-such as a small symbol, numbers, letters, etc. I would imagine that almost certainly an item like this would have Some sort of indication as to where it came from and who produced it, as it looks to be a production piece and not an art work. Also, examine the mounting holes for any signs of having ever been hung. There should be some indication of bolt head marks, etc where it was tightened down on a building. (Of course, if it was never Hung, this could possibly not tell you much too). This particular one seems to have an unusual set up for mounting-One small hole on the top for attaching it to a building? This seems woefully under arranged, as it is a heavy piece and has considerable weight-26 pounds, you would think there would be at least Two holes-top and bottom. This is alot of weight to be supported securely by one small bolt. Unfortunately, this fact alone makes this plaque an "iffy" piece, to me, anyway. William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

The plaque has two holes. One that goes all the way through and one that looks like a stud hole.

I have a problem with the likeness - It does not look much like AH to me but a very
    arthritic attempt that lacks true artistic detail. Would something like this
    - especially in such a large size - not need some sort
    of 'official' approval ?

If I were Hitler, I would have been very upset with the artist who designed
    this piece. Perhaps there is no attribution to the artist as he was
    too embarassed to sign it !

As William suggests about the weight of the thing, I believe there should
    be four mounting holes for something this large and heavy. It is 'iffy'
    to me as well - I do not place much trust in it.........!
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 01-06-2012 at 09:30 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

mpw
    ?

I'm not sure someone in recent times would go to the cost of making a 26 lb bronze plaque. The raw materials and then the expense of casting would surely point to this being a original piece. The only way to turn over any meaningful profit for making something like this today would to be sell them in a large quantity. From the photos supplied the patina looks quite good too. Really though the only real way of coming to a definitive conclusion is to handle the plaque.

Mark

Found out a few more things about the plaque.

The weight is actually 19'ish pounds. There are no know markings on the plaque. The cross on top is very similar to the iron cross. It probably was made in the late 20s or early 30s and could of been used as a campaign election tool or a early plaque for the newly elected Chancellor of Germany.

This information came as "speculation" from a WWII collector.

Quote by mpw View Post
    I'm not sure someone in recent times would go to the cost of making a 26 lb bronze plaque. The raw materials and then the expense of casting would surely point to this being a original piece. The only way to turn over any meaningful profit for making something like this today would to be sell them in a large quantity. From the photos supplied the patina looks quite good too. Really though the only real way of coming to a definitive conclusion is to handle the plaque.Mark
    Provided it is actually made of solid bronze, instead of an alloy.
    As you say, and 'in-hand' is the best way.........
    Regards,

Steve.

I can assure anyone that its not alloy and not recently massed produced...

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Provided it is actually made of solid bronze, instead of an alloy.
    As you say, and 'in-hand' is the best way.........

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2