Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

B.H. Mayer new years plaque?

Article about: Hello all, I have a little plaque I picked up that I'd like to show and get some info on if possible. The translation I get says something about A new year with fresh courage B.H. Mayer's ya

?

Default B.H. Mayer new years plaque?

Hello all,
    I have a little plaque I picked up that I'd like to show and get some info on if possible. The translation I get says something about A new year with fresh courage B.H. Mayer's yard(?) art. And then the wording with Prage-Anst. Pforzheim. Can anyone give me an exact translation and information on this plaque? Is this some sort of advertising item given out by B.H. Mayer company to clients at new years or something. This is a small but fairly heavy little plaque, 2 inches by 2 1/4 inches.
    thanks for any info
    Duzig(Bill)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture B.H. Mayer new years plaque?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement B.H. Mayer new years plaque?
    P
    Many

Never saw such a thing before, but I definitely like it. The details are superb.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I got to say I also like it.
    chris

?

Hello,
    Thanks for the comments. I have never run across one of these either. Yes I have to agree that the details on this piece are very good. I hope someone who speaks German can give me an exact translation. Thanks again for your comments.
    Duzig(Bill)

?

Never saw this plaque, but B. H. Mayer is a well known Company.
    Very nice!

It pretty much reads about what you translated it as, "With fresh courage into the 1934 new year!". And the maker's name and address "B.H. Mayer of Pforzheim". It looks to be a Boar Hunting organization piece, so hence the "Here's to fresh courage for next year's hunting!" message, to paraphrase abit.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

That does have great detail. Is there a chance of a pic of the back of this???
    Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Hof-Kunst-Prage-Anst is all one word hofKunstprägeanstalt Pforzheim, roughly translates as Court art Mint company in Pforzheim, (appointed by Grand Duke Friedrich von Baden in 1911). Very nice coin.

That's beautiful.

In this context, "Mut" is best translated as "spirit", rather than "courage":

"1934. Into the new year with fresh / renewed spirit."

Personally, I doubt the item has anything to do with boar hunting. Had the piece been made for use by a hunting association, the manufacturer's name would not have featured quite so large and prominently on the obverse. I find it much more likely that this was made as a gift/presentation piece/incentive item for business partners, customers or distinguished employees.

The boar and the other symbols are most likely derived from the then-popular world of ancient Germanic mythology and customs. The wild boar was the holy animal of the Germanic gods and was a symbol for fertility and good fortune. In times of yore, it was believed that eating a boar's snout (or at least pork in general) on New Year's Day would bring good luck for the new year.

The B.H. Mayer company is still in business, by the way:

MAYER MINT GMBH GERMANY (the Mayer Mint Company)
    Pin badges, lapel pins, name badges, insignia and much more - B.H. Mayer's IdentitySign GmbH (its subsidiary company manufacturing pins, badges, insignia etc.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast