MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

B.H. Mayer new years plaque?

Article about: Hello all, I have a little plaque I picked up that I'd like to show and get some info on if possible. The translation I get says something about A new year with fresh courage B.H. Mayer's ya

very nice.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement B.H. Mayer new years plaque?
    P
    Many

I agree it is certainly an attractive piece, and I wish to thank our friend HPL for his knowledgeable contribution in enlightening us as to the symbolism encountered here...Of note to me is the SunWheel Swastika as a popular Motif, particularly in the early period...
    cheers, Glenn

?

Hello,
    I thank you all for your comments and information. And a big thank you to all who supplied the detailed info and translations. It is most likely as I thought an advertising item for the B.H. Mayer company. This info was supplied to me by another collector.
    thanks again.
    Duzig(Bill)

Default mayer plakette

It is a advertisement for the company. Something that has been renewed every year and a tradition that is still going strong today. Like I mentioned on another forum, Mayer is certainly not the only company that has produced those little trinkets although they do seem to be the most prolific.
    Below are few examples as found on various sites.

cheers

Matt

Default plakette

More recent production seem to favor the round design.

cheers

Matt

?

Hello,
    Matt, thanks for your information. Thanks for confirming my thoughts on what this item was used for. And thanks for the additional examples!
    regards,
    Bill

I like the fact that the "2 fingered V salute" pre-dated Winnie's version by 7 years!!!!!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture B.H. Mayer new years plaque?  
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

I think that's more to do with the oath of allegiance or Reichswehreid than the "V" sign. Could be wrong though

Oh if the flower Power movement could have seen those photos ......... peace bro, luv ya man.

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Danmark View Post
    I like the fact that the "2 fingered V salute" pre-dated Winnie's version by 7 years!!!!!!
    Quote by duska View Post
    I think that's more to do with the oath of allegiance or Reichswehreid than the "V" sign. Could be wrong though
    The Schwurhand ["oath hand"] gesture has been used for many centuries and is not restricted to the armed forces' oath of allegiance; it is used for official oaths of any kind (for example when being sworn in for a public office or for a testimony in court etc.).

An oath is sworn "with God as a witness" and the three fingers symbolize man's submission to the Holy Trinity.

A rite dated to 1671 precisely described the symbolism and the individual "roles" assigned to the hand's parts: The raised thumb represents God the Father, the raised index finger God the Son and the raised middle finger the Holy Spirit. The two fingers folded down represent man; the ring finger stands for the soul and the little finger for the body. The palm of the hand stands for justice.

In the middle ages, a false oath could be punished by chopping off the right hand.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast