Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

BIG Nazi Steel Key????

Article about: Thanks for that link odal... Gwar

Quote by ajax3985 View Post
    Yeah, I saw those go up. 100% fake, bases construction, everything. Sure, I did not comment because I see it all the time and bored with it. It got picked of by a guy pretty quick and that saved me the trouble of having to comment. No brainer's there, this is not the same item and the fact that they were bad does not mean you open fire on this piece.
    What it means is that until I see anything suggesting these are authentic I don't think it's fair to say they are. The pictures are fair at best, and nobody who has commented yet can say this is a item they've seen before. How can one be certain they are original?

Gwar, after doing some searching it appears that Dietrich means skeleton key when used as a surname and ruler of people as the given name.

It is a pleasure to meet you too by the way.
    Dietrich | meaning of Dietrich | name Dietrich
    Last edited by youthcollector1; 11-10-2013 at 06:54 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement BIG Nazi Steel Key????
    P
    Many

So....going on the presumption (one that I don't necessarily agree with, but for discussion's sake)that this is a functional key that performed locking and unlocking duties....Just What kind of imposing lock or door would such an elaborate and over-sized key be used on? Something like Wewelsburg Castle? Probably not, though, as it was the God-head of the SS and would certainly have incorporated SS elements into it's design. Some other very large doored structure then? Doubtful it would have been for an oft used entrance, as one could hardly see carrying it around to simply unlock the front door of an office building or some such structure. It would have had to have been for a very Special door or gate. Germany's version of the Unknown Soldier's Tomb door? Possible, I suppose, but, as I said earlier, it's almost impossible to identify it's use with the information on hand just now. One could play the "maybe" or "could have been" scenario endlessly and still not come to a definitive answer...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

youthcollector1... Be vigilant... Sometimes there are no pictures that tell the story...in certain circumstances. Some things in the TR as you know were not documented.. So in that instance..
    Believe all that can be based on sight and instinct.. the rest on a gut feeling.. also based on knowledge.. We all do the best we can.....Gwar

- - ------- - -

youthcollector1... Be vigilant... Sometimes there are no pictures that tell the story...in certain circumstances. Some things in the TR as you know were not documented.. So in that instance..
    Believe all that can be based on sight and instinct.. the rest on a gut feeling.. also based on knowledge.. We all do the best we can.....Gwar

- - ------- - -

Careful how you hit that "Post" button, Gwar...lol
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Thanks Wagriff...I feel like a goof.. Thanks for pointing out my obvious mistake..LOL...hahahaha Gwar

[QUOTE/]......Believe all that can be based on sight and instinct.. the rest on
    a gut feeling.. also based on knowledge.. We all do
    the best we can.........[/QUOTE]

Ok - What I see and my gut feeling says: "NO".........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    So....going on the presumption (one that I don't necessarily agree with, but for discussion's sake)that this is a functional key that performed locking and unlocking duties....Just What kind of imposing lock or door would such an elaborate and over-sized key be used on? Something like Wewelsburg Castle? Probably not, though, as it was the God-head of the SS and would certainly have incorporated SS elements into it's design. Some other very large doored structure then? Doubtful it would have been for an oft used entrance, as one could hardly see carrying it around to simply unlock the front door of an office building or some such structure. It would have had to have been for a very Special door or gate. Germany's version of the Unknown Soldier's Tomb door? Possible, I suppose, but, as I said earlier, it's almost impossible to identify it's use with the information on hand just now. One could play the "maybe" or "could have been" scenario endlessly and still not come to a definitive answer...
    Its impossible to say, the measurement of the key in length is 8 3/4 inches about 1/2 that is the finial piece and the key would insert 3 inches or so before it hit the mechanism, that's why they used a steel shaft I think. That would be one hell of a thick door all things considered. I am guessing a large box lock for a gate, maybe a two piece where the bolt does a cross over to the second box catch. A large set of gates maybe. Wewelsburg does not really have anything like that that I recall but will have to go back and look. It does not have to be SS and the eagle could be NSDAP, but the wrought iron leads everyone to SS I guess. Guard tower gate was not thick as I recall either. I will say this though the locking mechanism is large with a large bolt, large enough to snap a cast iron key maybe. I dont know about these holster comments the poster made, but its a big key.

- - ------- - -

Everyone is "guessing" ss because on the chart it's stated there's a ss shape on the eagle, not because it's iron.

All I can say is it is a well made key possible a gift from a burgmeister as a key to some city or guest I too have never seen that type before but I have seen similar type items used for certain occassions or cermoney which Germany was big on and still is in a lot of the little towns famous for something. I can't say either way if it is a real TR piece can't discount it though. timothy

?

Not me.. S.S. Heer, Luft Take your pick.. no concensus as far as I can read...Gwar

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast