Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DAF Presentation Silver Platter w/ Cups - Atlas Werke (Opinions please)

Article about: Good evening fellow collectors, I've been offered this DAR presentation set amongst some Third Reich items. Now this is something completely out of my comfort zone as it's common knowledge t

Default DAF Presentation Silver Platter w/ Cups - Atlas Werke (Opinions please)

Good evening fellow collectors,

I've been offered this DAF presentation set amongst some Third Reich items.

Now this is something completely out of my comfort zone as it's common knowledge that non desirable 'antique' pieces are tarted up with bogus engravings - is this the case?

I've searched many a Third Reich dealer site for similar pieces both for ideas of originality and value.

Can anybody help me with the above - the pieces show promise but what do I know.

Thank you, Glen.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture DAF Presentation Silver Platter w/ Cups - Atlas Werke (Opinions please)   DAF Presentation Silver Platter w/ Cups - Atlas Werke (Opinions please)  

DAF Presentation Silver Platter w/ Cups - Atlas Werke (Opinions please)   DAF Presentation Silver Platter w/ Cups - Atlas Werke (Opinions please)  

DAF Presentation Silver Platter w/ Cups - Atlas Werke (Opinions please)  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement DAF Presentation Silver Platter w/ Cups - Atlas Werke (Opinions please)
    P
    Many

Hi Glen, you are right about old items being tarted up. Very common fakers trick.

I cannot say for certain, but these look OK to me.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hi Ade,

Thank you for your response. I've been trawling dealers site for a similar piece but I cannot for the life of me find one.

I could have sworn I've seen a similar lot of items before; perhaps on the forum?

Thank you, Glen.

I am not seeing anything immediately red-flagging. The engraving looks good. I like it.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I would be extremely careful here. I do not want to crap on good silverware and the platter is good and period from what I can see. The question is the cog and that on the platter and on the becher's. (sic) These are getting more and more elaborate and more and more noticeable. There are a few guys above me here that like these and I do not want to piss in your Cheerio's but you actually need to run a risk/cost equation because even if there is something wrong with these they will get by most and sell. Their D.A.F., platter should be silver I think and proofed. The cog in conjunction with the lettering would be proper or can be added. The lettering is nice and legit from the photo. Not sure about those cups being silver? are they proofed?.

I have a platter here on the floor that I swore was proofed and its not, but it is silver. The platter cog looks o.k. You see how that platter is not all nice and polished like the cups and how the cog is so "not" all clean and linear and the cups have been polished using an abrasive cleaner and how clean and linear the cog is on those?. I know I am looking at these really hard and I know the platter is good, if the schnapp's cups are period marked I guess you kind of have to green light them. You need to stay under 4 figures by at least 20%.

Sorry for all the bla bla

Quote by ajax3985 View Post
    I have a platter here on the floor that I swore was proofed and its not, but it is silver. The platter cog looks o.k. You see how that platter is not all nice and polished like the cups and how the cog is so "not" all clean and linear and the cups have been polished using an abrasive cleaner and how clean and linear the cog is on those?. I know I am looking at these really hard and I know the platter is good, if the schnapp's cups are period marked I guess you kind of have to green light them. You need to stay under 4 figures by at least 20%.

Sorry for all the bla bla
    Thank you for your in-depth response.

I'm in the process of receiving some better pictures and have requested images of any maker marks/ proof stamps.

As to the 20% short of four figures. I've been offered this ensemble along with a NSFK plaque both for 180 euro.

NOW I know at the price is good and you may see it as an instant red flag but the vast majority of items from my collection come from private sellers not dealers/collectors.

Thank you, Glen.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture DAF Presentation Silver Platter w/ Cups - Atlas Werke (Opinions please)  

Quote by Glennyboy619 View Post
    Thank you for your in-depth response.

I'm in the process of receiving some better pictures and have requested images of any maker marks/ proof stamps.

As to the 20% short of four figures. I've been offered this ensemble along with a NSFK plaque both for 180 euro.

NOW I know at the price is good and you may see it as an instant red flag but the vast majority of items from my collection come from private sellers not dealers/collectors.

Thank you, Glen.
    Just buy it all and the flag would have been a high number here and don't even worry about photos and you can take those later.

Quote by ajax3985 View Post
    Just buy it all and the flag would have been a high number here and don't even worry about photos and you can take those later.
    I'll await the better photo's first. Can't be too hasty!!

The seller is from German and has other items belonging to his Father.

Thank you, Glen.

One point that I like about this set, is that it's not absurdly engraved to Konstantin Hierl or some other high up personage. It's simply a nice platter that was decorated and presented to some anonymous official for an event in 1937. Most fraudulent engraved pieces go overboard and pretend like it's a gift to Himmler or Goering for an extravagant event of honor. I can't really see much of a reason or purpose of faking a mundane piece for a small selling price. As to the metal content, the tray looks to be plated-as would be expected-and the cups could be solid silver. I would be interested in seeing the bottom markings of both the tray and glasses.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast