Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

DAF Presentation Silver Platter w/ Cups - Atlas Werke (Opinions please)

Article about: Good evening fellow collectors, I've been offered this DAR presentation set amongst some Third Reich items. Now this is something completely out of my comfort zone as it's common knowledge t

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    One point that I like about this set, is that it's not absurdly engraved to Konstantin Hierl or some other high up personage. It's simply a nice platter that was decorated and presented to some anonymous official for an event in 1937. Most fraudulent engraved pieces go overboard and pretend like it's a gift to Himmler or Goering for an extravagant event of honor. I can't really see much of a reason or purpose of faking a mundane piece for a small selling price. As to the metal content, the tray looks to be plated-as would be expected-and the cups could be solid silver. I would be interested in seeing the bottom markings of both the tray and glasses.
    Thank you William for your response - you're words echo my feelings.

I am in the process of obtaining further pictures.

Thank you, Glen.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement DAF Presentation Silver Platter w/ Cups - Atlas Werke (Opinions please)
    P
    Many

Many of these presentation pieces were made from Alpacca, a type of nickel silver, and are often marked accordingly. It wouldn't surprise me if these are such.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thank you Ned for your additional insight, I'll await the additional pictures.

Thank you, Glen.

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    One point that I like about this set, is that it's not absurdly engraved to Konstantin Hierl or some other high up personage. It's simply a nice platter that was decorated and presented to some anonymous official for an event in 1937. Most fraudulent engraved pieces go overboard and pretend like it's a gift to Himmler or Goering for an extravagant event of honor. I can't really see much of a reason or purpose of faking a mundane piece for a small selling price. As to the metal content, the tray looks to be plated-as would be expected-and the cups could be solid silver. I would be interested in seeing the bottom markings of both the tray and glasses.
    One thing is for certain, as soon as you think you know the answer on a fake the market will club you over the head with a fish bat because it is ahead of you and well ahead of these forums. They change the fakes, which changes the questions, which changes the answers, and by the time an internet forum catches up to the new fake its 2-5 years later. This forum is probably one of the better forums for catching thievery and new fakes as its based in Europe where a lot of the stuff is done, but make no mistake that while most of it is fairly easy to catch its not always true and unless your constantly watching your going to be behind the curve.

So, yes and no.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2