MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

EAGLE DESK ORNAMENT real or fake?

Article about: Another acquisition This desk ornament is heavy. about 7" long by 4" wide. No marking at all that I can see. feel like Marble base, maybe brass eagle, steel flat under. Looks like

[QUOTE=Hgagnon;1586159]I took some close-up of the eagle. I did not take it from its base, I am too afraid to break something. It looks like some glue of varnish might be between the eagle and the marble base.

Now there are two of these on the board, and that is a problem. Your bird is no question on a base that is not right and mounted poorly, finish differs and its just not what I like, personally anyway. The bird on top by Mlopkit is actually more convincing but I do not think that base is right either. So where is the right bird on the right base?. I am not buying a vet story on that bird up top because even though it looks nice and more what one would expect, I have seen it done like that. I see your in Britain, where is the 2nd bird? posted from. Britain is a haven for this material.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement EAGLE DESK ORNAMENT  real or fake?
    P
    Many

?

[QUOTE=ajax3985;1586331]
    Quote by Hgagnon View Post
    I took some close-up of the eagle. I did not take it from its base, I am too afraid to break something. It looks like some glue of varnish might be between the eagle and the marble base.

Now there are two of these on the board, and that is a problem. Your bird is no question on a base that is not right and mounted poorly, finish differs and its just not what I like, personally anyway. The bird on top by Mlopkit is actually more convincing but I do not think that base is right either. So where is the right bird on the right base?. I am not buying a vet story on that bird up top because even though it looks nice and more what one would expect, I have seen it done like that. I see your in Britain, where is the 2nd bird? posted from. Britain is a haven for this material.
    Have to agree with ajax3958 - I have been at collecting for close to 50 years and must say that during the early years saw mainly the RZM type which reflect the ones mounted on the Nurnberg stadium(turned down wings), which are also reproduced today. All of a sudden these past recent years a number of variations popped up, does make one think. There are possibly other variations from the period, but as he said I would have to look at them in hand and then who knows. As always "Buyer Beware".

Horst
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

There's the answer right there.... Their all fake until one is shown to be legit and the "Veteran" piece on the brown base probably contains iron like the fake Breker piece.

EAGLE DESK ORNAMENT  real or fake?EAGLE DESK ORNAMENT  real or fake?EAGLE DESK ORNAMENT  real or fake?

I have to admit after looking at the second lot of pictures that were posted the eagle really does look like a bad reproduction.
    With all those bubble holes on the back I would say that it actually looks like a cold cast resin piece that has had bronze powder added to the initial mix.

Easy way to test it is get a red hot pin and poke it....If it melts it is just cast plastic.

All the best
    Doug

The brown eagle on the white base is 100% reproduction in my opinion. The eagle with the red background is 100% period original -and on the original base and was with the vets family in Germany. As Horst & Ajax have pointed out, sometimes you need to have had a bird in hand as I have with this one, and if Ajax could see what I am seeing in the other photos that I kept of this original bird he would agree no question. I posted the generic photos of it from the sammlerstammtisch forum only as a reference to compare with Hgagnons and the known repros.

Have to agree with ajax3958 - I have been at collecting for close to 50 years and must say that during the early years saw mainly the RZM type which reflect the ones mounted on the Nurnberg stadium(turned down wings), which are also reproduced today. All of a sudden these past recent years a number of variations popped up, does make one think. There are possibly other variations from the period, but as he said I would have to look at them in hand and then who knows. As always "Buyer Beware".Horst
    I have collected and studied desk and wall eagles for over 25 years and see only one original of these scarce early birds for about every 10 standard Nuremberg eagles out there. That said, there are as many reproduction versions of this model out there as there are of all the other Nuremberg eagles. Researching the period newspaper adds and catalogs tells us that there were only two original versions of this eagle- one made from iron and one made from bronze. This makes it easy to discount a lot of the fakes as any version made from zink, pot metal or aluminum can be detected as a fake straight away but the fakers have also worked this out and have made fake versions in iron and bronze. An iron or bronze 'HB' or 'M3/100' Nuremberg eagle is a dead giveaway as a fake but unfortunately not so with this bird- there are other things to look for with this one.

Fake Vs Original
    Attached Images Attached Images EAGLE DESK ORNAMENT  real or fake?  EAGLE DESK ORNAMENT  real or fake? 

Quote by mloppkit View Post
    Fake Vs Original
    I do not think so and you have fake vs. fake.

Think that is twice I Typed a reply to find another post above that was not there when i originally replied, a little weird. I have no documentation on this model nor have I had one or have I seen one that was worth a hard look other than just an eyeball. The Breker piece has been out there for a long time, that I remember.
    Last edited by ajax3985; 02-25-2016 at 08:48 PM.

This example is available in Europe. Several have recently appeared at auction and with dealers. Origin of these impressive fakes is unknown. A colleague of mine got stuck with the pictured example, happily and after protracted argument the dealer refunded his money. Does not quite compensate for his disappointment though.

EAGLE DESK ORNAMENT  real or fake?EAGLE DESK ORNAMENT  real or fake?EAGLE DESK ORNAMENT  real or fake?EAGLE DESK ORNAMENT  real or fake?EAGLE DESK ORNAMENT  real or fake?EAGLE DESK ORNAMENT  real or fake?EAGLE DESK ORNAMENT  real or fake?EAGLE DESK ORNAMENT  real or fake?EAGLE DESK ORNAMENT  real or fake?

Quote by Gastvrijheid View Post
    This example is available in Europe. Several have recently appeared at auction and with dealers. Origin of these impressive fakes is unknown. A colleague of mine got stuck with the pictured example, happily and after protracted argument the dealer refunded his money. Does not quite compensate for his disappointment though?
    I know exactly where it came from and it never existed.

Quote by ajax3985 View Post
    I know exactly where it came from and it never existed.
    I think it is still a nice recast from an original, if you can tell me who is selling these at the price of a replica i would buy one from him because original are no longer available....the are all buried in private collection. How much did that bird cost you if you don't mind me asking.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast