Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Eagle desktop-revision

Article about: I would like you to take a look at this eagle; and give me your opinion on whether it is possible that this eagle belonged to the period of the Third Reich. No signature. Width of the wings:

Default Eagle desktop-revision

I would like you to take a look at this eagle; and give me your opinion on whether it is possible that this eagle belonged to the period of the Third Reich.

No signature.
    Width of the wings: 43cm
    Height: 41cm
    Height of the base (including in 41cm): 12,5cm.
    Weight: 7,2kg

best regards.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eagle desktop-revision
    P
    Many

?

By all means, wait for other replies but I personally see nothing that would connect it to the Third Reich - it simply appears to be a fine eagle desk ornament. Without any form of insignia or signature, it is difficult to prove that this was of the said period.

Regards,

Carl

Its a Reich Adler most likely although they were made before the Reich, within the transition and during the 3rd Reich. Probably early 30's and its a white metal with bronze patina and the pre-war examples of this style bird will have in many cases bone or ivory beaks as opposed to what you see here where they essentially painted it. It has the original stone based designed like a tor and its a screamer. If it were bronze it would be even better. These will sell soft here as they don't have a swastika which is a shame but a nice piece none the less.

Quote by CARL88 View Post
    By all means, wait for other replies but I personally see nothing that would connect it to the Third Reich - it simply appears to be a fine eagle desk ornament. Without any form of insignia or signature, it is difficult to prove that this was of the said period.

Regards,

Carl
    ok ... thanks for your quick response. I have seen several eagles of this type have no swastika. and are said to be of that era. this is not specific. is again an auction item bustchek Klaus. He says it's for 30-40 years.

It appears to be made using spelter, a type of zinc or zinc alloy that became popular in the late 19th - early 20th century as a cheap alternative to bronze. It was widely used in clock making as case ornamentation, and for candlesticks and Art Nouveau and Art Deco statues etc. I would say it's a genuine piece with it's original stone/marble base, but as Carl says whether it's linked to the 3rd Reich is at least moot if not dubious. It's not particularly valuable for what it is.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks Ajax and big ned fantastic explanations.

Quote by Milindre View Post
    Thanks Ajax and big ned fantastic explanations.
    ;o) Here is a pre-war example of the fighting adlers with the bone or ivory beaks and these would probably date into the twenties. These are easily recognizable birds and the one you photo would have been done the same way and have seen it that way. So the model pre dates the nazi's but the bird crosses into the Reich.

Eagle desktop-revisionEagle desktop-revision

It's a parrot death match...!!!!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

What Carl said. Ive seen plenty of these from the period with no TR connection.

Quote by big ned View Post
    It's a parrot death match...!!!!
    Lol, they do look a little funny and the beaks are slightly out of scale. Its not uncommon on these early pieces like Imperial era to see scale issues here and there. A little better than parrots though. ;o)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast