Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Enamel sign with famous slogan

Article about: Hæ everyone ! I bought last summer my first enamel plaque, that I feel to be genuine - the seller (reputable French, never seen anything bad on his site) even showed me his own and it was ex

Default Enamel sign with famous slogan

Hæ everyone !

I bought last summer my first enamel plaque, that I feel to be genuine - the seller (reputable French, never seen anything bad on his site) even showed me his own and it was except for one tiny weeny detail identical - but never seen elsewhere on the internet. It's not in Wilhelm Saris' book.

I consider it as genuine as I have no proof of the opposite and as the overall aspect makes it highly believable (crisp details, originality of the motto (would fakers have composed it without any known real reference ?), matching with another example, etc..). No copies found neither on polish faker websites or any other militaria repro sites I came across.

Actually, I did not ask about it until now to any sign collector lest I heard bad news, for I really find this one impressive and meaningful, off the beaten track. But believing is not knowing, and I need in the end to know if it's epochal - or at least how high are its chances to be so.

Thank you for your awaited help !

Enamel sign with famous sloganEnamel sign with famous sloganEnamel sign with famous sloganEnamel sign with famous sloganEnamel sign with famous sloganEnamel sign with famous sloganEnamel sign with famous sloganEnamel sign with famous sloganEnamel sign with famous slogan

Seller's one :

Mine in display :

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Enamel sign with famous slogan  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Enamel sign with famous slogan
    P
    Many

mpw
    ?

Looking at your good photos I would say an original period enamel sign. The enamel is good quality, deep and has good vivid colours with a good black reverse. Also the (catapult) damage looks old as the rusty areas have the appearance of being there many years.

Regards, Mark.

I have not seen this enamel sign before and have no idea if it is a good one!
    But is it just me or am I wrong, seeing some of the words at sixes and sevens?
    Or is this just optical illusion, due to photographing?

Any sizes?

?

While I agree with Mark’s comments regarding quality, I cannot say I like the very regular damage along the top and lower edges... it looks somewhat contrived to me.

Wilhelm, I am afraid I do not quite understand your comment about ‘sixes and sevens’.
    In what sense?

All the best,
    Bob

By the way, fakers will often use known elements (such as the slogan or an insignia), on an otherwise ‘unknown’ item.
    If there are no recorded original examples, there is nothing to compare their invention to for reference!

I think what Wim means is that the letters appear to be slightly slanting in different directions, rather than being perfectly vertical. Of course, this may or may not be an optical illusion resulting from the sign's slightly convex shape.

Personally, I have doubts... I cannot comment on the physical aspects of the item, but the text gives cause for concern to me.

"Führer wir folgen Dir! Alle sagen ja!" ["Führer, we follow you! Everybody says yes!"] was a slogan that appeared on the posters for the 1934 referendum to combine the offices of the Reichspräsident and the Reichskanzler. The more famous quote "Führer befiehl, wir folgen Dir" ["Führer, give the order! We follow you"] is the last line of the lyrics for the Rußlandlied written in 1941.

Note that this combines the 1941 line with the 1934 slogan, omitting the "Dir" from either.

"Alle sagen ja" only makes sense in the context of the referendum, urging everyone to vote with "yes", but not in the context of wartime propaganda; not to mention the fact that in the third year of the war economy, such slogans would surely be distributed by means of posters, not elaborate enamel signs.

On the other hand, having a proper enamel sign - rather than a poster - made for a single referendum hardly seems likely, either.

Just my two cents.
    Last edited by HPL2008; 10-07-2018 at 04:11 PM.

?

Just some pictures.

Enamel sign with famous slogan Enamel sign with famous slogan Enamel sign with famous slogan

In that case, I stand corrected when it comes to this version of the slogan and its use in 1934.