Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

German Glass Gobblet

Article about: Has anyone ever seen one of these before? No markings. Just the eagle engraved in the glass. Had it for a number of years and am just throwing it out there to see if anyone could identify. H

MAP
    ?

it was in Mike Ryans Odd's and Ends forum as part of a grouping but decided to post it separately here as well.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Glass Gobblet
    P
    Many

My missus has some glass collectables and the goblet looks quite similar to Czech black crystal!...

MAP
    ?

Can your missus post a pic of it? :-)

German Glass Gobblet
    Very similar to this mate!...

MAP
    ?

Yes, similar "heavy" type of look and color to it. Will post some more pics of the eagle and underside. Hopefully tonight...

MAP
    ?

Gunny/Mark,

Here are the close ups.

1) two of the etched eagle (best I could do with my camara) but if I say so myself, the etching is really beautiful
    2) One pic of the bottom

Let me know your thoughts.

Michael

German Glass GobbletGerman Glass GobbletGerman Glass Gobblet

?

I'm starting to wonder if it may be a candle holder rather than a goblet?. For the flat round tealight style candles as opposed to the long thin ones , the cup small and the stem is very thick? , i am probably wrong but it is a guessing game with this at the moment , wish there was some info around on it. No doubt a very rare item .

MAP
    ?

Jimm,

If its got the "experts" at WRF stumped, rare indeed it must be .

the inside of the cup is round so don't think it is a candle holder but nice thinking outside the box.

Also, per your prior post regarding having a metal/silver rim. The top part is actually in an octogan type shape so doubt it has a rim.

I think it is exactly as produced.

Always wondered what the value on something like this. Rare yes, but expensive? Who knows. Probably worth what someone is willing to pay. I know I overpaid but had to have it because it was so cool.

mpw
    ?

Thanks for the additional photos. Definitely has a polished ground pontil where the glass maker separated the rod from the finished form by hand or machine leaving a hollow, smooth depression in the centre of the underside of the base. A quality item.

Mark.

It does indeed look like Czech black crystal, the eagle looks to be well crafted and all i can think is maybe it was a non official presentation piece for somebody!..

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast