Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

German snare drums

Article about: I wasn't sure where to place these, so apologies if this is the wrong spot. A recent acquisition of mine was a small snare drum of the type which is often linked to the Hitler Youth. This is

Default German snare drums

I wasn't sure where to place these, so apologies if this is the wrong spot. A recent acquisition of mine was a small snare drum of the type which is often linked to the Hitler Youth. This is the smallest of the sizes used... measuring roughly 12 inches (305 mm) across and 5.5 inches (135 mm) deep. The condition of the instrument is very good, both skins are free from cuts and there is minimal paint loss to the wooden hoops. The tension screw for the snare is missing, but apart from that it would be difficult to find a better genuine WW11 example. There are no makers marks, but there is a number '2' stamped into the hanger bracket. There is also a number '2' punched into the brass body of the drum. Click on pictures to enlarge.

German snare drumsGerman snare drumsGerman snare drums

The second drum is slightly larger... being some 14 inches across and six inches deep. Both skins are original to the drum, and although this example - purchased from a seller in Katerini, Greece - appears to have had a harder life, it is still in quite good condition. On a historical note... Katerini was captured by the Germans on April 14th 1941. Of course there is no way of knowing if the drum has been there since then... but you never know!

The hanger and drumsticks were already in my possession and have no connection to either drum. Click on pictures to enlarge.

Cheers,
    Steve.

German snare drumsGerman snare drumsGerman snare drumsGerman snare drumsGerman snare drums

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German snare drums
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Very neat Steve.

Now the big question....how do they sound? Try any HJ marching songs on them yet?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Nice Steve. As a former drummer I appreciate that.

Quote by MAP View Post
    Very neat Steve.

Now the big question....how do they sound? Try any HJ marching songs on them yet?
    I've never been one for blowing my own trumpet or banging on my own drum...

Nice find Steve and yes ... the appropriate forum

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

nice drums! congrats