Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German soldier self portrait

Article about: This painting was a self portrait by Fritz Boeke, German POW that was in a prison work camp near my grandparents home. My grandfather helped oversee the POW's while they were working, and be

Default German soldier self portrait

This painting was a self portrait by Fritz Boeke, German POW that was in a prison work camp near my grandparents home. My grandfather helped oversee the POW's while they were working, and became friends with several of the prisoners. Fritz gave this painting (along with the enclosed letter) to my grandfather as he was being sent home.

I was told by a memorabilia dealer, that the pocket patch indicated Infantry, and the skull and cross bones indicated he was part of a Panzer unit. I am wondering if this information is correct, and if anyone can glean anymore information from the painting.
    Any feedback is appreciated.

German soldier self portraitGerman soldier self portrait

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German soldier self portrait
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: German soldier self portrait

Indeed, he is wearing a Panzer wrap, and has at some stage been awarded what appears to be a wound badge. Nice item, thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Carl

p.s. Welcome to the forum!

I agree, a wounds badge and Panzer wrap. It is my favorite uniform from WWII, and that is a marvelous painting. I would love to have something like that, you are very lucky

Regards,

Corey
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German soldier self portrait  

Thanks.
    I assume the Panzer wrap is the skull and crossbones patch. What are you seeing that may indicate a wound badge? Is that one of the shoulder decorations?

?

No, the wound badge is the medal present on the left breast. The Panzer wrap is the name of the jacket, as its form wraps around the wearer.

Regards,

Carl

This is why I signed up....to get correct information! THANKS!!!!
    I was told the circular medal with the helmet indicated that he was infantry....so it was the German version of the Purple Heart.

I'm curious as to the ribbons.
    I assume the Eagle with the outstretched wings was standard uniform issue?

Also, I found it interesting that he omitted the Nazi insignia within the circle. I guess he didn't want to be too specific.

The wound badge was awarded to those who were wounded in combat. This one appears to be gold. A gold wound badge was awarded to those who acquired 5+ wounds, were disabled, or killed. Also of note is the red ribbon with two white stripes. This means that he served on the Russian front. Yes, the eagle is the standard 1939 pattern Enlisted Man's breast eagle.

Regards,

Corey

The red ribbon with white/black/white stripe is from the Winterschlacht Im Osten Eastern Front Medal

Eastern Front Medal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    A very nice self portrait!
    If you look closely, you can see that the swastika was there, but has been altered. The wound badge actually looks like a well worn black one with the finish missing off of the high points.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

The swastika on the wound badge is also altered/removed. I believe the picture was painted with both swastikas intact before he was captured. He removed the swastikas upon deciding to give it away, or the grandfather removed them.

Corey

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast