Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hans-Joachim Marseille Commemorative Plate

Article about: Gentlemen, I apologize for my long lapse in posting. Sorry Guys... Here is an interesting piece I received form one of my clients. To say the least, it is an item that I have never seen befo

Default Hans-Joachim Marseille Commemorative Plate

Gentlemen,

I apologize for my long lapse in posting. Sorry Guys...

Here is an interesting piece I received form one of my clients. To say the least, it is an item that I have never seen before. It was stored away amongst a few other nic nacs in a Veteran's footlocker.

It is what I believe to be a Commemorative plate honoring Hans-Joachim Marseille. The interesting item to note is that the plane is listed as an Me 109 when it's an FW 190. Also, could it be a post war item seeing that there is no swastika present? I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Regards,

Joel
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hans-Joachim Marseille Commemorative Plate   Hans-Joachim Marseille Commemorative Plate  

Hans-Joachim Marseille Commemorative Plate   Hans-Joachim Marseille Commemorative Plate  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Hans-Joachim Marseille Commemorative Plate
    P
    Many

Default Re: Hans-Joachim Marseille Commemorative Plate

i think is modern plate ! no swastika , error of plane ....

the bf 109-f used by Marseille in 1942 , in the plate Fw-190
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hans-Joachim Marseille Commemorative Plate  

Hi Joel,

First things first, nice to see ya back!!

As far as the plate goes, i'm afraid its bad... Marseille only ever flew the Bf 109 in Africa. He was killed on the 30th September 1942 whilst bailing out due to an engine failure and striking the vertical stabiliser.

The Fw 190 made it's African debut on 16th November 1942, 6 weeks after the 'Star of Africa' had been in his grave.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Big Red and all,

Thank you very much for your insight. I certainly had my doubts and none the less, the price was right.

Joel

prinzeugen
    ?

Default The Plate is not bad

Hello. The plate is not "bad". The aircraft is incorrect; a mistake by the maker. The plates interestingly enough were produced in East Germany. I own one of these plates and the marks indicating East Germany as its origin are on the back of the plate. I found it fascinating that production of a collectible of this type would be permitted in the post war DDR. Amazing really. I believe the plate dates from the 60's or 70's. Thank you. GB

Quote by prinzeugen View Post
    Hello. The plate is not "bad". The aircraft is incorrect; a mistake by the maker. The plates interestingly enough were produced in East Germany. I own one of these plates and the marks indicating East Germany as its origin are on the back of the plate. I found it fascinating that production of a collectible of this type would be permitted in the post war DDR. Amazing really. I believe the plate dates from the 60's or 70's. Thank you. GB
    I agree, "bad" is the wrong word and out of context to the question as it's not relevant. You'll have to forgive me, but back in those heady days I was high most of the time on crystal meth and Courvoisier, and that clouded my judgement. Interesting point about it being made in the DDR, but considering HJM never shot down a single soviet aircraft, all 158 of his victories being in the BoB or Western Desert and British or Commonwealth pilots, perhaps it was deemed acceptable by the communist authorities during the Cold War?

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

prinzeugen
    ?

Ned. Great post! I love your train of thought on why the plate was allowed to be produced in the DDR. I agree with you 100%. Have a super weekend. If I get a chance, I will scan the back of the plate and post it. Be seeing you. GB

Building on Ned's comments. The DDR and the NVA wanted to be seen as the legitimate German Bearers of Arms. They were keen to adopt traditional elements of Imperial and Wehrmacht uniform into their Army and this was not doubt in that vien.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

It is a modern plate, there are many similar ones in the market.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast