Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Have you seen anything like this before ??

Article about: Hi all , A friends dad brought this ash try home from the war . His dad got it from the desk of the commander of Pioneer Kaserne Aschaffenburg . What units were at Pioneer near the end of WW

?

Default Have you seen anything like this before ??

Hi all ,
    A friends dad brought this ash try home from the war . His dad got it from the desk of the commander of Pioneer Kaserne Aschaffenburg . What units were at Pioneer near the end of WWII ? The commander held out for 2 or 3 days before surrendering . The story goes that he hung his officers in the street for wanting to surrender . The note with the ash try said he was called " The Mad Major of Aschaffenburg " . There are no marking on it and it is about 5" around . The wolfs head is holding a whip . If anyone could add to this it would be great .
    Thank You Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images Have you seen anything like this before ??  Have you seen anything like this before ?? 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Have you seen anything like this before ??
    P
    Many

?

Hi all ! Just wanted to bring this up again to see if I can find an answer .
    Thank You Dave

Hello Dave,
    this isn't anything to do particularly with the military.

The ashtray has a foxes head on holding a riding crop so is more foxhunting related.

The Germans pretty much like the Brits enjoyed a day out with the hounds.

Cheers
    Doug

?

Quote by Saladin View Post
    Hello Dave,
    The Germans pretty much like the Brits enjoyed a day out with the hounds.
    Not entirely true, Hitler banned hunting animals with dogs in 1934. I agree though it does look more like a foxhunting related item.

Have you seen anything like this before ??
    Quote by duska View Post
    Not entirely true, Hitler banned hunting animals with dogs in 1934. I agree though it does look more like a foxhunting related item.
    Hiya Duska,
    I would imagine this dates from around the victorian era 1837-1901
    I wouldn't even be suprised if it was British made.

The one above on the same theme is for sale for around $2600

The US 45th Infantry Division was initially repelled when they tried to enter Aschaffenburg, which had been declared a fortress...it's well-known that civilians and soldiers who displayed "defeatist attitudes" were executed publicly within the city...Major der Pioniere (Combat Engineers) Emil Lamberth commanded a garrison of mixed elements, including Volkssturm, and managed to defend the city for 10 days before surrendering...The fighting was intense enough to earn the title "Cassino on the Main"... After the war it was determined that Lamberth had acted under duress from SS and Nazi Authorities and he was exonerated of any war-crimes...
    I agree that the item in question is not military, I believe it's early political...
    cheers, Glenn
    Last edited by bigmacglenn; 04-20-2015 at 03:39 PM.

?

Thank You for all the replies ! We realize it is not military but , it was removed from the desk of the commander by my friends father during the war . Never thought about foxhunting or related .
    Thank You again for all your help !
    Dave !!

I actually think it's a wolf, not a dog...Wolves figure prominently in German Folklore...In fact, "Wolf" was Hitler's alias in the early days, when he still carried a whip with him...Julius Streicher, the former Gauleiter of Franken (which includes Aschaffenburg), was also known to carry a whip...This piece isn't about fox-hunting, as Nazi symbolism can indeed be recognized here , in my opinion...
    Glenn
    Attached Images Attached Images Have you seen anything like this before ??  Have you seen anything like this before ?? 
    Last edited by bigmacglenn; 04-17-2015 at 07:24 PM.

nice post.

?

Thank You Glenn !! You have given me some more to think about . It would be great to find a picture of Major Lamberth at his desk and this be setting there . I think is a cool piece . I would love to have it in my collection , But he will not sell it .
    Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast