Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Heer Plaque

Article about: Does anyone know what the name is for this plaque or it's maker?

?

Default Heer Plaque

Does anyone know what the name is for this plaque or it's maker?

Heer Plaque

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Heer Plaque
    P
    Many

Are there any markings on the back?

Here is a link to a similar example. Given the condition of example in #1 I would say it was a repro, but I honestly have no idea.

https://www.emedals.com/europe/germa...er-army-plaque

?

Here are better photos of the plaque, it is definitely original. I do not know the maker, but the mark is the same as the link from #3.

Can anyone identify who the maker is and did this plaque have a title or name?

Heer Plaque
    Heer Plaque
    Heer Plaque
    Heer Plaque

The artist identified as BM on your plaque is the same artist who designed the coin shown below. His BM signature is seen in the lower left quadrant at the start of the caption. I have been unable to identify him and if you, or anyone viewing this thread, knows who he is, please tell tell me. I agree, your plaque is genuine and in extraordinary condition. Dwight

Heer Plaque

Mint: I turned up this information which applies to your plaque as well as to my coin. BM is the mark of B.H. Mayer's Hof-Kunstprägeanstalt founded by Bernhard H. Mayer in Pforzheim in 1871. That is the firm that made the plaque you have, and my coin. The artist who designed the plaque and the coin is unknown. I hope this is useful to you. Dwight

?

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    Mint: I turned up this information which applies to your plaque as well as to my coin. BM is the mark of B.H. Mayer's Hof-Kunstprägeanstalt founded by Bernhard H. Mayer in Pforzheim in 1871. That is the firm that made the plaque you have, and my coin. The artist who designed the plaque and the coin is unknown. I hope this is useful to you. Dwight
    This is great thank you! If possible I would like to find out what the intended purpose of this plaque was, perhaps to mark the occasion of something?

I have only seen a couple of these, and there is no reference what they were for.

Mint: My guess is that they were patriotic plaques that were displayed on a wall in businesses and homes. It might also have been something that parents of a soldier displayed in their home showing that they had a son serving. I am still working on learning the name of the artist who designed the plaque, but I suspect that since B.H. Mayer's Hof-Kunstprägeanstalt was a rather large firm, they might have had in-house artists, employees, who designed whatever Mayer made. Dwight

It's a quality piece and beautifully produced. I would tend to agree these plaques were probably displayed in the houses of families with a serving son. But they may also have been bought pre-war after a period of national service ended. Such as the etched remembrance bayonets were bought in similar circumstances.
    As for the maker BHM, I note there is also a WW1 Verdun propaganda medal that was produced by this firm.

?

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    Mint: My guess is that they were patriotic plaques that were displayed on a wall in businesses and homes. It might also have been something that parents of a soldier displayed in their home showing that they had a son serving. I am still working on learning the name of the artist who designed the plaque, but I suspect that since B.H. Mayer's Hof-Kunstprägeanstalt was a rather large firm, they might have had in-house artists, employees, who designed whatever Mayer made. Dwight
    Quote by Anderson View Post
    It's a quality piece and beautifully produced. I would tend to agree these plaques were probably displayed in the houses of families with a serving son. But they may also have been bought pre-war after a period of national service ended. Such as the etched remembrance bayonets were bought in similar circumstances.
    Great comments thank you!

It is logical that a piece of art like this would be used as a memorial piece for a family member serving, but it seems small at only 65 x 85mm. It makes me wonder if it was actually part of a larger set or group of items?

I could be wrong, but the backing is not something that would normally be used to hang on a wall, instead it would indicate that they should pierce or tack into something pliable; the prongs would then be pried open from behind in order to secure it in place. Are there other German art pieces similar to this design that we might be able to determine how this plaque would actually be setup?
    Last edited by Mint; 03-30-2019 at 07:25 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast