MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Himmler Letter Opener

Article about: I wanted to get some thoughts on this piece. I have no hands on experience with these. Thank you in advance for your opinions!

Default Himmler Letter Opener

I wanted to get some thoughts on this piece. I have no hands on experience with these. Thank you in advance for your opinions!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Himmler Letter Opener   Himmler Letter Opener  

Himmler Letter Opener   Himmler Letter Opener  

Himmler Letter Opener   Himmler Letter Opener  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Himmler Letter Opener
    P
    Many

Hello Gents I copied this post and moved it from the SS dagger forum to this forum for a few more eyes so see and give opinions on..as this is one of these type exotica type gifts that are highly faked..and there is not enough reference information in authenticating this particular piece. In Thomas Wittmann SS pg 669-670 reference..it shows an identical style presentation case including the the snap fasteners. I myself am not in a position to pass judgement on such an item ,,but hopeful to those who may have some experience or handling of this said item. Just because the case may look period ..should not be enough to authenticate a separate artifact. Any thoughts on this? Regards Larry

here is the connecting link https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/ss-di...45/#post961643
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Just to add more to this thread with a little more information for discussion......it has been deemed by Freiherr von Moellendorff, aka, Peter Stahl, alias Arthur Royster identified the Himmler letter opener as an Atwood fake as far back as 1969.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

personally, i am liking this piece. the metal looks quality and with the artisan works and signature.

I note it doesn't appear to fit properly into the recess in the case. A strange oversight on behalf of what should be a quality controlled piece?

I too regard these as fantasy items and I would not have one in my collection.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Think all has been said - fantasy item

Horst
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

When Atwood produced these letter openers in the mid 1960's, many of the damascus craftsmen who worked at the forge at Dachau were still alive. They were happy to receive the commisions from Atwood for not only these but also sword and dagger blades. He is likely laughing in his grave that some folks still believe these are real after nearly 50 years.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.