Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Just HOW do you tell the difference?

Article about: Ok a bit of an odd question, but if the piece is not signed, how would you determine if a bronze bust of AH was period or not? It weighs nearly 3kgs and stands about 10" high, the detai

Default Just HOW do you tell the difference?

Ok a bit of an odd question, but if the piece is not signed, how would you determine if a bronze bust of AH was period or not?

It weighs nearly 3kgs and stands about 10" high, the detail is incredible, but it isn't signed anywhere i can see.

There are far more knowledgeable people regarding TR art than I, so it is a question i would like answered, for obvious reasons

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Just HOW do you tell the difference?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Just HOW do you tell the difference?

Hi John, real bronze has never been cheap, so I think most fakes are not really solid bronze, but would be spelter. Patina would be another thing to look closely at. If the detail is good, I would imagine it would be OK?

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi John, real bronze has never been cheap, so I think most fakes are not really solid bronze, but would be spelter. Patina would be another thing to look closely at. If the detail is good, I would imagine it would be OK?

Cheers, Ade.
    Thanks Ade, I thought I'd better put some pictures up to help a bit. Although it has real marble on the base, i feel that is it a later addition, as is the bolt also.

But it is bronze, and bloody heavy, i just have a nasty niggle about it

I wish I had all of the answers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Just HOW do you tell the difference?   Just HOW do you tell the difference?  

Just HOW do you tell the difference?   Just HOW do you tell the difference?  

Just HOW do you tell the difference?   Just HOW do you tell the difference?  

Hi John, I see what you mean. I cannot say for certain either way, but I am not crazy about it. To me it appears to have no age patina.

Send a PM to forum member Rob Truscott: Rob is comrade of mine from 2nd Guards and is an artist who works in bronze and gets his castings done in Russia.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Not for me either - the detail is a dead giveaway - check out some of the previous postings realtive to Hitler busts and check out the detail on the hair etc -
    Horst
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

shouldnt it be darker in colour or have a greenish hue to it ? also is it deffo metal John, i have heard that sometimes these are made of resin and a "last resort" to see is put a flame to it but it will bubble instantly, there isnt a real detail to it either as mentioned earlier,
    cheers Ronnie
    Last edited by 85ronnies; 10-25-2010 at 09:19 PM.

John what's the initals on the nut maybe there is an engineer who can shed some light on that part of it
    cheers Ronnie

I would pass on it .fake jump to me the moment I saw it.It just looks too fresh to me.

Quote by 85ronnies View Post
    shouldnt it be darker in colour or have a greenish hue to it ?
    Errr no.................The greenish tinge only becomes apparent when left for a long time without handling. I've seen quite a few, but all have been signed. It is definitely Bronze, but I still have a niggle, in hand the detail is good. A pal of mine suggested that it could be chemically aged. Oh well, it just stays on my shelf

Another loss

Quote by John Brandon View Post
    Errr no.................The greenish tinge only becomes apparent when left for a long time without handling. I've seen quite a few, but all have been signed. It is definitely Bronze, but I still have a niggle, in hand the detail is good. A pal of mine suggested that it could be chemically aged. Oh well, it just stays on my shelf

Another loss
    just sell it as a good bronze copy mate

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast