Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

KM Glazed Tile for Review

Article about: Here is an interesting thing for KM collectors, a glazed commemorative tile for the U-515, measuring 6" square approximately:

?

Default KM Glazed Tile for Review

Here is an interesting thing for KM collectors, a glazed commemorative tile for the U-515, measuring 6" square approximately:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture KM Glazed Tile for Review  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement KM Glazed Tile for Review
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: KM Glazed Tile for Review

This was made by the well-known Quimper firm in occupied France.

U515 was a Type IXC/40, sunk off the Azores by planes from the USS Guadalcanal on 9/4/44.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture KM Glazed Tile for Review  

Here's a bit more info, a notable commander and boat.The Type IXC boat U-515 - German U-boats of WWII - uboat.net

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Ned -

Thanks for this.

I believe the U-515 was attached to the 10th Flotilla, based in Lorient, a major U-boat base. Such was also the location of a principal Quimper factory.

Just trying to imagine the circumstance behind this sort of creation - perhaps it was in commemoration of one of U-515's war patrols; she was a very successful boat.

Anyone else seen anything like this?