Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

My SS Allach Fawn

Article about: A fine piece Jody, thank you for sharing with us. And to other members who kindly displayed theirs too, patently. Regarding the manufacture, inmates did actually havre a hand in the process

?

An interesting section of the permanent exhibition, located within the former maintenance building at Gedenkstätte-Dachau. This image shows period pieces of Allach as well as their official catalogue.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My SS Allach Fawn  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My SS Allach Fawn
    P
    Many

Interesting and it's good to see that Germany is no longer hiding these pieces away.

?

meant to quote. The post made no sense in just the reply mode.
    I think I will have another Cuba Libre.
    Last edited by SteveR; 03-06-2015 at 02:33 AM.

?

Another post meant to be in the quote mode. Ooops.
    Last edited by SteveR; 03-06-2015 at 02:35 AM.

?

Ceramics work from beginning to end is craft and science taken into the art realm.

The mixing of the clay bodies and the glazes approaches pure science also.
    Porcelain clay is a mixture of Kaolin, Ball Clay, Feldspar and Flint. This is turned in a grinding mill for even distribution of the materials. Then mixed into a slurry with water and a deflocculant to keep the clay from sticking to the mold.

The sculpture is all art with the knowledge that when the piece is dried it still has chemical water in it which affects the size in the finished piece.

The making of the molds takes skill and science also. The more intricate the sculpture the more pieces of the mold have to be created.

The artists that paint the colored glazes are especially gifted. The glazes when painted on are not the colors you see when fired. You have to be able to see the finished colors in your mind to paint the glazes on.
    The glaze, whether it is clear or colored, is a sheet of glass over the clay body.
    To get the right colors you must mix minerals with with flint ( the main source of silica in the glaze.
    A small percentage of the same clay that the figure is made of,
    Feldspar the main flux that makes the glaze turn to glass.
    Those are the base of a glaze.

The other common parts of glaze used are calcium carbonate, Magnesium carbonate, dolomite, talc, strontium carbonate, colemanite and in the pre 1960s white lead and or litharge which is lead monoxide.
    Then you add the coloring minerals ( to many to list ). The mixtures must be put in a smaller grinding mill to get even mixtures of the minerals.
    The test firings of the glaze must be done on small porcelain slabs standing in a base to make sure it is what you want.
    The firing of the bisque kiln for porcelain takes 1800 degrees Fahrenheit. The glaze firing will require at least 2300 degrees. The kilns need to be monitored to make sure. Usually takes 8 to 10 hours in a gas fired kiln. The clay will shrink 20% depending on the amout of chemical water in it.

After all of that S h I t the damn things may not come out right. Moisture content in the air may screw everything up. Porcelain has a bad habit of cracking.

I know I am boring you all to tears but I hope this gives you an idea of what went into your coveted piece of porcelain ceramic art work. Knowledge is power.
    There is so much more in a porcelain figure than the eye sees. Craft, science and most importantly art.

?

Quote by Zuhair Alnaaimey View Post
    No one made animals like Theodor Kärner
    My parents did a good job according to my expired mother in law.

?

Quote by odal View Post
    Beautyful looking piece!

Is it possible to see a shot from the bottom?
    I tell all the girls that.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5