Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Nazi Plaques/ signs/Statue

Article about: Hi, a few more items from The German History Museum this statue was one of two flanking the entrance to the Reichskranzlei from Wilhelmstrasse sorry don't know why the pics have turned aroun

Nazi Plaques/ signs/StatueNazi Plaques/ signs/StatuePiping on overcoat collar.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Nazi Plaques/ signs/Statue
    P
    Many

Hi FB, hope you enjoyed your visit, what was your opinion of it, have you any pictures that you would like to share with us?!

Regards SK

In the fall of 2010, the DHM did a special exhibit on Hitler and the German people which I saw, and it was very well done.
    The real moment for me with it all was to see the expressions on the faces of many people who had never actually seen such things
    as concern us here in real life. That fact was far more powerful than any artifact, of which we are all more than jaded. Berlin is a wonderful place, not necessarily made better by mass tourism versus the reality for those of us
    with experience of the past, but there you are. I am a grumpy old man. Parts of the Linden most under the weight of tourism remind me of Time's Square in New York or Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 10-10-2014 at 07:28 PM.

Nazi Plaques/ signs/Statue
    Quote by Silberkreuz View Post
    Hi FB, hope you enjoyed your visit, what was your opinion of it, have you any pictures that you would like to share with us?!

Regards SK
    Dear Sir, I only took pictures of things of no interest to people here. For instance, a park in Berlin Weissensee, where I stopped for five minutes of peaceful thought and reflection. Look on the website I included. The DHM is a wonderful, marvelous place and I try to go whenever I am in Berlin.
    I had not been to Berlin for two years, and was in a state of deep gloom as a result. Servus, FB

Nazi Plaques/ signs/Statueother moments. Sonnenland Siedlung, Potsdam.

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    In the fall of 2010, the DHM did a special exhibit on Hitler and the German people which I saw, and it was very well done.
    The real moment for me with it all was to see the expressions on the faces of many people who had never actually seen such things
    as concern us here in real life. That fact was far more powerful than any artifact, of which we are all more than jaded.
    I'm curious to know what sort of expressions you noticed on the attendees--were they fascinated, horrified, stunned, or ?
    Thank you in advance!
    Erich

They were stunned and shocked, in fact.

?

Thank you!
    Erich

I think many of my fellow museum goers were East Germans of a certain age, who likely had never seen such objects in real life.
    My life in Germany reaches back to the 1960s, when, of course, these things were considered all junk and most who had witnessed the epoch
    saw Nazi regalia land on the junk heap to be replaced by democracy and prosperity.
    This generalization applies less to a young person in the 1980s in the DDR, who then, at this exhibit, has discovered these things for the first time in the year 2010 in real life.
    Of course, Berlin in the present is so cosmopolitan that the people might have been from anywhere, but those from the five new states (ex GDR) looked pretty freaked out, as it were. And, to be sure, it is less
    obvious today who is an east German versus a west German.....the distinction means much less than it once did in practical terms.
    We (the denizens of this site) are all jaded and so suffused of these things that we do not give it a second thought.
    We all need perspective, especially do I, as I am a history teacher.

Here is the catalog.

Deutsches Historisches Museum Berlin - Hitler und die Deutschen - Katalog
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 10-13-2014 at 05:23 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast