Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need opinions on gold AH "logo" embroidered napkin...

Article about: I'm considering this item for purchase. It is said to be a doily of sorts (looks more like a napkin). It measures 60cm squared, with each of the 4 gold embroidered "AH" monograms m

?

Default Need opinions on gold AH "logo" embroidered napkin...

I'm considering this item for purchase. It is said to be a doily of sorts (looks more like a napkin). It measures 60cm squared, with each of the 4 gold embroidered "AH" monograms measuring 7cm high by 6.5cm wide. The photos are actually pretty good so I'm hopeful someone can provide some insight as to whether you feel this is genuine.

Thanks!
    Dzyner

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need opinions on gold AH "logo" embroidered napkin...
    P
    Many

Looks like a Pakistan made fake to me. Here's a genuine one courtesy of Bruce Hermann at Grenadier Military Antiques. The difference in quality says it all imo.

Rare Adolf Hitler Formal Dining Table Napkin

Regards, Ned.
    Last edited by big ned; 05-19-2015 at 02:13 AM.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I agree with Ned , this one really lacks quality usually seen on period embroidery

Swastika's are too small and the eagles are large,clumsy and out of proportion. Does not look good to me. I would pass.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I'm not an expert on these, but I can't recall ever seeing one in gold. They've all been white embroidery. Did gold exist?

?

Hi all. Thanks for the great feedback. Avenger, that is one of the things about this example that caught my eye initially - the gold embroidery. To me, if you're going to fake an item, why not fake a more known pattern and a known design (white on white). I'm not disputing the opinions of the group, just making a simply (and logical) point is all.

The story from the grandson of the vet is that this was taken from Hitler's Berchtesgaden home by his grandfather who served in the French 2nd Armored Division. According to his grandfather's story, this cloth lay beneath champaign glasses (which another solder took) in a closet in the home. I understand stories are a dime a dozen (I've heard many in my years of collecting) but at least this one checks out in that the French 2nd Armored did indeed visit the Eagle's Nest (after the Americans).

At any rate, if it's no good then it's no good. I certainly don't want to pay the $500 price tag for this if it will raise so many questions. I know items like these are very challenging to authenticate, especially ones that are not standard such as this one.

I don't mean to imply I speak with any authority on the subject. I've seen quite a few of these come up the last couple of years and not one has been gold like this one, which struck me as a possible red flag. I can't say for sure though. That said, you'd be surprised what fakers will do to make things stand out to the unsuspecting.

Fakers using gold when all known versions are white doesn't surprise me at all, since anyone who doesn't suspect the piece might be impressed by gold threading and think "now that's the napkin of a Fuhrer". Someone like a Snyder might put it on his site and say it's a very rare formal pattern used only once to host the Emperor of Japan. I even have an SA armband I bought many years ago that was done with bullion thread instead of the gold threading, a likely made in India 4th Reich special. It certainly fooled me.

Not original.

MAP
    ?

Surprised if the GI's left any booty at all....
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)