Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Nice New Eagle

Article about: Hello All, I had the opportunity to save this from the melting pot. I was hoping that I would have been able to re nazify it and get it cast in aluminium. It is made from cast Iron and weigh

I like it a lot !
    Excellent find ,

Keep us updated with a pic after you mount it .

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Nice New Eagle
    P
    Many

Quote by mloppkit View Post
    That is a fantastic eagle, I love these wrought iron birds- so much work went into creating them- nice long wing down style as well, congtatulations. The last iron eagle I saw with the long wings was John T's from Boppard elementary school but it was a wall eagle with no back- yours is far nicer in all its 3 dimensional glory.
    Now that's a thought.
    I just wonder if it is possible to get it cast just showing one side. I will have to ask a casting man.

Anyway I picked up the twin today so I am quite pleased.

I have looked at them both and apart from the missing swastikas they seem to be fairly undamaged.
    I had originally thought that they came from East Berlin in the 50s but from what I saw of Berlin everything TR was shot up by the advancing soviets.

Another thing that I have discovered is they are made from mild steel rather than cast iron. I wonder if they are as mloppkit suggests wrought iron produced by stamping the main pieces out rather than a cast.

As far as mounting them I did think one each side of the front door.....Mmmm perhaps not. They may interfere with my outside lights!

Nice New EagleNice New Eagle

Well I'm always told they are worth more as a pair!!

Doug

great bird,wonder if from a Kaserne gate post.?

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    great bird,wonder if from a Kaserne gate post.?
    I don't know Harry it has got to be something like that. Of the gates that I remember in West Germany and West Berlin there were Regimental insignia rather than army eagles.
    Most of the gates and official buildings that I came across in Berlin thinking of the Citadel in Spandau they had large Prussian eagles as decoration.
    (I did try to get hold of one of these Prussian eagles to have some casts made as they had been removed whilst the building underwent restoration. However the Burgermeister in Spandau got them copied and presented to the Regiment (I wonder where they are now!) )

Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images Nice New Eagle 

?

Whatever building they came from, they would more than likely be facing each other as the heads are aligned with the full plummage of the leg feathers , one facing left the other right, the only thing that bothers me is there are no mounting points, but they look terrific, if you can mount them good luck to you

I wondered that myself, Dave-are they an actual pair or are they just Similiar and perhaps were picked up from a factory that once made many kinds of eagles and such ornamentation? The legs,leg feathers and tails in particular are quite different. I, personally, can't imagine why the tails, for example, would be one in front of the wreath and one behind. Unless, they were intended to be Inside of a swinging pair of iron Gates? One to be seen from each direction? This might explain the lack of mounting lugs as well-they were meant to be welded integrally into a panel of a gate? A handsome pair, by any way of looking at them, though. A shame that they had to be mutilated to adapt to the new anti-swastika frenzy after the wars end. I don't suppose it would be a major restoration to bring them back to original condition.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Very impressive adlers and if they were mine, I would have swastikas cast to replace the now absent originals.

by Saladin:
    Another thing that I have discovered is they are made from mild steel rather than cast iron. I wonder if they are as mloppkit suggests wrought iron produced by stamping the main pieces out rather than a cast
    Here is John T's single sided long wing down wall eagle stamped and beaten into shape and not cast for comparison. What a fantastic pair of eagles, well done.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Nice New Eagle   Nice New Eagle  

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    I wondered that myself, Dave-are they an actual pair or are they just Similiar and perhaps were picked up from a factory that once made many kinds of eagles and such ornamentation? The legs,leg feathers and tails in particular are quite different. I, personally, can't imagine why the tails, for example, would be one in front of the wreath and one behind. Unless, they were intended to be Inside of a swinging pair of iron Gates? One to be seen from each direction? This might explain the lack of mounting lugs as well-they were meant to be welded integrally into a panel of a gate? A handsome pair, by any way of looking at them, though. A shame that they had to be mutilated to adapt to the new anti-swastika frenzy after the wars end. I don't suppose it would be a major restoration to bring them back to original condition.
    I believe we're looking at a front and a back. As William
    suggests, they were meant to be seen as one
    from either side........
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2