Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

NSDAP Eagle

Article about: My new addition. A nice big NSDAP Eagle. Damaged and and starting to crumble, this proud old lady needs some help.. The plaster like material is gradually deteriorating and she also has been

I now believe that the colour isn't dark gold.

A quick bit of detective work with a very light sanding paper, reveals BLACK paint under GOLD paint?

Pieces of gold paint actually peeled off, to reveal the black paint underneath.

It's in a worse condition than I first thought, but come this weekend, I hope to get it primered up.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NSDAP Eagle   NSDAP Eagle  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement NSDAP Eagle
    P
    Many

mpw
    ?

Your doing a great job there, well done! I have an old brewery elephant sign about the same size as your eagle and dating from the same era and that has black under gold. I think the base colour dictates the finished shade of gold. I have seen red and white also used as a primer.
    I'm guessing the skeleton of the eagle is wire and string? How did you stabilise the wing? A tricky job I am sure, a case of two steps forward and one back.

Mark.

Fantastic work, well done they will display really well.

More work done today, lots of sanding, shaping the filler and general clean up.

The eagle is made up of a plaster type material Mark, with stringy type stuff mixed in?

Wing crack now sorted.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NSDAP Eagle   NSDAP Eagle  

Skipped a few corners here and there, but after primering it up, a quick sanding, finally some gold paint applied.

I've still got more work to do on it's feet, hopefully I'll get that done tomorrow.

I've left a few scratches/holes alone, I don't want these eagles to look perfect.

The colour is a darker shade and I do prefer this one to be honest.

NSDAP Eagle  

The two different colours shown.

The first eagle is far too bright, too metalic.

Second eagle looks much better with it's darker appearance, nearer to the original colour in my opinion.

I haven't painted the Swastika yet, so you can see how close the match is.

One thing is certain, they are in a much better condition now, than when I got them..

That's an impressive bit of restoration work. I agree the darker bronze look is probably the more authentic.

Finally finished painting the darker eagle, just need the marble towers sorting now.

I'll repaint the first one with the darker colour this week, and that should be it..

?

Looks great ! I commend you on your dedication. Can't wait to see them finished and mounted

Quote by military View Post
    Nice piece. There were a couple sold at John T.'s website.

Mil
    I sold one to John T. about a year or two ago.
    Turned it out of the woods in Austin, Texas in 1973
    I don't think it's one of the two you pictured but it did have some damage.
    I recognize the wooden base shown as I had it custom made.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast