Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

NSKK Sternfahrt 10. September 1933 Breslau Thiele & Steinert

Article about: Good afternoon, everybody, apologies if I have posted this in the wrong section. Not normally my area of collectiiong, but sometimes if you find something cheap that is attractive, you have

As far as I know they were all cast so not surprising that you will see this. It was just a cheap badge to be stuck on a radiator grill or mounted on a wooden plaque afterwards. There are examples made of zinc and ceramic. No doubt there are fakes out there as well

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement NSKK Sternfahrt 10. September 1933 Breslau Thiele & Steinert
    P
    Many

I have found this in a German archive that Thiele & Steinert did at some stage have access to "Feinkupferschmelzen", or fine copper casting. so it would not be unusual to find a cast brass plaque like the one I have posted. Most of the fakes seem to have a cloth backing similar to arm shields, but my example is quite a heavy brass example, so while I am not 100% ruling it out as a fake, we can see that Thiele & Steinert did manufacture some items by casting. Just scroll down when opening the link and click on the page arrows.

Vergleichende Zusammenstellung uber das Feinkupferschmelzen in Tiegeln bei Thiele u. Steinert in Freiberg und in Grunthal - Deutsche Digitale Bibliothek

Has anybody managed to find known fakes with this type of paper backing on it as in my original post?

?

One other observation. The Adler wings on your example are Freeform cut. Other examples have the wings contained within the shield. Below the wings is usually where holes were drilled for attachment. I have not seen any online or in my collection travels with a paper backing. I would contact David Wyatt or John Telesmanich as additional resources in addition to our insight. I am still unsure on it. Wish I could be more of a help. I sent Dave and John images and see what their opinions are.

Below are a couple for reference. The first one with arm sleeve has paper back on felt wool and is listed as a repro. The second is Maker Marked. Also found a Thiele & Steinert bullion cockade from elsewhere on forum.

Last edited by Rossi; 04-18-2024 at 06:55 PM.
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Thanks for that Rossi, it's very helpful. I too have never seen the freeform eagles wings cut out. I suppose if the plaque was to be attached to a cooler grill, or motorcycle, it could be done so with wire through the drill-holes or by looping it through and underneath the wings. Maybe this example was meant to be more commemerative that practical. Notice the option at the 6 o'clock position to make your own drill-hole. I have just never seen one like this, so we don't know for sure whether it is fake or just very rare. There is no proof as yet either way until your contacts get back to us. If my example turns out to be real, then it will serve as a valuble resource in proving one more manufacturer out there. Also of note is that the second example you have posted is cast and presumably genuine.

Thiele & Steinert also made NSKK shoulder boards, so possibly they also made the plaque.

Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

?

Quote by thecyclist64 View Post
    Thanks for that Rossi, it's very helpful. I too have never seen the freeform eagles wings cut out. I suppose if the plaque was to be attached to a cooler grill, or motorcycle, it could be done so with wire through the drill-holes or by looping it through and underneath the wings. Maybe this example was meant to be more commemerative that practical. Notice the option at the 6 o'clock position to make your own drill-hole. I have just never seen one like this, so we don't know for sure whether it is fake or just very rare. There is no proof as yet either way until your contacts get back to us. If my example turns out to be real, then it will serve as a valuble resource in proving one more manufacturer out there. Also of note is that the second example you have posted is cast and presumably genuine.

Thiele & Steinert also made NSKK shoulder boards, so possibly they also made the plaque.

So far Dave Wyatt believes not a period piece. Waiting to see what John T thinks.

?

Here is what I believe to be an authentic period shield for the 1933 Breslau ride. Link is to William Kramer’s site.

NSKK Sternfahrt Breslau 1933 Plaque

Also a cast example by the looks of things

?

Also a cast example by the looks of things
    Good luck in the quest for answers. I am fresh out on data and details. Have a good weekend.

Rossi

Fake from Poland

Armelschild N.S.K.K. Breslau
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NSKK Sternfahrt 10. September 1933 Breslau Thiele & Steinert  

All the fake/replicas out there have the three drill-holes, which throws up some interesting questions regarding my example with cut-outs under the eagle's wings. I will keep researching

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast