Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Nurnberg Stadt der Reichsparteitage

Article about: by Jo Rivett I am talking about the tea cup. Not the box with the correct advertising slogan, the cup. I also dont believe "this topic" has ever been covered before either. There i

?

Erich - great looking box, a nice addition to the collection.
    Horst
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Nurnberg Stadt der Reichsparteitage
    P
    Many

Jo Rivett: I see the problem, Reichsparteitag is singular whereas Reichsparteitage is plural. The cup is a souvenir for the specific day on which a Parteitag was held, and was probably sold during that event. By not including a specific date for a specific Parteitag, cups with that design could be sold annually without the need to remanufacture new cups. It's a marketing ploy. On the other hand, the box bearing the plural Reichsparteitage could be sold year-round since Reichsparteitage is plural and does not represent a specific date, and thus is more specifically a souvenir of the city. But you are quite right that Reichsparteitag, singular or plural, is written as one word. But for design purposes exceptions can and are made. Dwight

Dwight, i have asked another native German speaker to comment, which he will later today. I dont buy it, the slogan as it stands, is a big problem for me to accept. I know it is only one letter, and you have tried to explain it with what makes sense to you, but to me what you have said is merely your own personal explanation so that it fits with you, it still does not work from where i am sitting, and most certainly does not work for this item.

It is not simply a problem of singular or plural that can be explained with a suggestion that it must therefor be for one day only- out of the Parteitage.
    Lets wait and hear from a few more native German speakers as to a possible explanation.

Jo Rivett: Well, my friend, your opinion and observations are as valid as mine, just a different perspective and take on the object under consideration. To me, and I really don't mean to disparage Horst's item, the cup and saucer are the typical sort of souvenir Kitsch that are sold to tourists. But I see no problem with the three-tier layout that breaks up the single word Reichsparteitag. The product quality is consistent for such items and the wear looks right to me. Even the absence of a specific date supports my belief that it's a low-end souvenir item, but none-the-less genuine. I will be interested to read what the next guy has to offer. Dwight

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    I see no problem with the three-tier layout that breaks up the single word Reichsparteitag.
    I also see no problem with this, my problem is with the missing E, my problem is with the word Parteitag and how it used, well not my problem, but German grammar`s problem.

Nothing more can be said - just yet.

Quote by Jo Rivett View Post
    Dwight, i have asked another native German speaker to comment, which he will later today.
    That would be me, then... So, comment, I will, although normally I would avoid this: I know nothing about porcelain items and am not qualified to comment on the cup as such. Still; so far this has been about the plausibility of the text, so I will limit myself strictly to that.

As has been said above, the official honor title given to Nuremberg was Stadt der Reichsparteitage [City of the Reich Party Days]. A case of highly succesful branding, this epithet was universally known by everyone and proudly borne by the city, which was and is a popular tourist destination throughout the year (RPT or not). So, naturally, vast quantities of countless different souvenir- and gift items (like Erich's neat little box) must have been available with this text.

If I were a manufacturer of such souvenir items back in the day, I guess, I, too, would have gone for that slogan.

Still, I can't find anything profoundly wrong with the single (and singular) word Reichsparteitag. Such an item could be sold during the actual Reichsparteitag events and the omission of a specific year would allow any unsold stock to be offered once again during next year's festivities. No doubt, people eager for souvenirs would buy it anyhow, year or not.

Such highly economical/practical thinking is certainly not beyond the manufacturers and sellers of souvenir items. Just think of last year's "Royal Baby" hype: Souvenir/commemorative items (to include mugs & teacups, naturally) were available long before Georgie's birth. No date of birth, no name, no gender, no problem: Just put a crown and "Royal Baby 2013" on something and people will buy it.
    Of course, the generic "Stadt der Reichsparteitage" slogan would make the item more sellable throughout the year, and it could still be sold during any RPT as well; but, as I said, I don't find the term "Reichsparteitag" wholly implausible either.

Still, what troubles me a bit is something else: While it is a compound noun, Reichsparteitag is spelt as a single word in German. If the term is split into two lines, I would expect to see an "-" after the Reichs part.

Just my two cents offered, with no offense to any of the above posters intended.

Yes, post 8 is exactly what we see, on many items, silly items., everyday items,. as said, makers just jumping on the Hype-wagon and pimping their stock out, and yep, we all would have done the same were we trying to cut a living back then in Nürnberg.
    I still have a big problem with the Partaitag part. Where are the items that were "made for one day" - made for one Parteitag? Because this is the first such item i know of that shows REICHS PARTEITAG NÜRNBERG, without for example, Reichsparteitag der xxx (add something here) The only time a cup and saucer would have been made for one day at a Parteitag, would be an official item used on that day. I could buy that theory even without a date, but then why this cross pattern everywhere and then a very lopsided crest transferred on. I know it was said that the crest is not lopsided, but anyway you look at it, it is, the words Nürnberg on the bottom show the space between lettering and "rand" as well as the top does, so this is surely no official item for the actual Parteitag. OK, a souvenir, i know, i hear you all, but my point is, there are no one-day souvenirs that say Parteitag, a souvenir has simply the general advertising slogan Stadt der Reichsparteitage.

I dont see the correlation, i dont see a special Parteitag amongst the 5-7 day Parteitage. Sorry but i just dont.

I also know nothing about crockery, but this item gave my the heebeie jeebies as soon as i saw it. It is just, not right imho.

Sure there were plenty of souvenirs, there ais also plenty of hyped up fake rubbish, like the Reichsparteitage HJ knives. Period makers went with the Hype, but fakers did too!

Quote by Jo Rivett View Post

I also know nothing about crockery,
    Jo,

I do. The argument over grammar has been laid out a multitude of times on various topics, it has been debunked more than a few as well. The box is period and its manufacture as well as its crest and party logo are correct. I owned it myself and I can generally spot humpers and this is just not one of them. Just my opinion of course as the previous owner.

Quote by ajax3985 View Post
    Jo,....
    The box is period and its manufacture as well as its crest and party logo are correct.
    I am talking about the tea cup. Not the box with the correct advertising slogan, the cup.

I also dont believe "this topic" has ever been covered before either. There is another item with the wording REICHS PARTEITAG NÜRNBERG that has been shown, discussed, quote: debunked before...where?

Quote by Horst View Post
    There were a mountain of items that a tourist or visitor to "The City of the Reichsparty Rally" could purchase, from beer steins ,postcards,etc to small Demi cups/saucers reflecting the city image/emblem and the slogan"Nurnberg die Stadt der Reichsparteitage"- Here is an example . These items were on sale during the III Reich not only during the rally but to promote the city itself as a tourist attraction.

Horst
    Attachment 648491Attachment 648493Attachment 648494
    These are usually the ones that give me pause here as they seemed to have used a pattern that you would see on something like dinnerware and then you have the added logo and party day embellishment. Now they did this but I have seen jokers taking dinnerware patterns and embellishing them for any number of things and it always makes me squirm just a bit. So you really have to take the sum of the whole and adjust and you can only come to one conclusion, that the piece is correct. But when they screw around this way it can make things difficult but luckily they screw it up most times.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast