Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Old Ashtray

Article about: by Erno I really like the floor ashtray! You're correct that it is totally unrelated to Nazism; I believe it is American in origin, and from the 1920s or earlier. I really like these art dec

Quote by Erno View Post
    I really like the floor ashtray! You're correct that it is totally unrelated to Nazism; I believe it is American in origin, and from the 1920s or earlier. I really like these art deco floor ashtrays.
    I have to disagree with you there Erno.

You don't p*** on good luck for a start. Secondly, dropping ashes on the swastika and stubbing out your stogie on it is more than mere coincidence I feel. An internet search reveals that these ashtrays in various guises were sold to liberating troops after D-Day.

Let's wait for other answers, i'm intrigued.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Old Ashtray
    P
    Many

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    I have to disagree with you there Erno.

You don't p*** on good luck for a start. Secondly, dropping ashes on the swastika and stubbing out your stogie on it is more than mere coincidence I feel. An internet search reveals that these ashtrays in various guises were sold to liberating troops after D-Day.

Let's wait for other answers, i'm intrigued.

Regards, Ned.
    They are two separate ashtrays. The one with the Manneken Pis is definitely an anti-Nazi item, but I don't know if it's post-war or pre-occupation. The floor ashtray is quite a bit older, in my opinion, and should be cast iron if I remember correctly.

Yes - it looks like two separate pieces.

The pedestal stand might have had a glass tray
    in it originally.........
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 04-11-2014 at 07:58 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Erno View Post
    They are two separate ashtrays. The one with the Manneken Pis is definitely an anti-Nazi item, but I don't know if it's post-war or pre-occupation. The floor ashtray is quite a bit older, in my opinion, and should be cast iron if I remember correctly.
    AAARRGGH! You got me there Erno, I didn't even notice it was TWO ashtrays as the title wasn't plural and not looking closely enough I didn't notice!

Apologies are proferred old chap, it's nearly three in the morning here, time I hit the hay...

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    AAARRGGH! You got me there Erno, I didn't even notice it was TWO ashtrays as the title wasn't plural and not looking closely enough I didn't notice!

Apologies are proferred old chap, it's nearly three in the morning here, time I hit the hay...

Regards, Ned.
    It's only 10 PM here, but that doesn't mean I'm any sharper at the moment. I only knew that they were separate ashtrays because I've seen both types before. Actually, they fit each other nicely.

?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    might have had a glass tray in it originally.........
    I believe you're right. I've had this ashtray for a while, but I recently broke the glass tray in mine while moving it. The type was very common during the first half of the twentieth century. I think they were meant to lend an air of opulence, because they're really pretty impractical. I used mine for candy.

Yes it is two separate things the boy part is not original to the stand. Larry I don't know what that is unless for a bigger cigar Dad smoked cigars only and he used this larger one to hold some of the bigger imported variety's and it fit them just right. Erno I think that the stand is a lot older than the urinating boy piece too. timothy

Yep, my grandparents had one of those chrome monsters
    in their rec room - from an era where smoking
    was acceptable.........
    Regards,

Steve.

I will add my two-cents. I agree with Erno that the ashtray stand is probably 1920's American and the small ashtray with the Manneken Pis (thanks to Big Ned) is an entirely separate thing. The swastika symbol is called the "whirling log" among those who are fans of American Indian culture. I know that all of you have seen examples of American Indian art that employ the swastika, but for the record here are two more.
    Old Ashtray

Old Ashtray

Yes, the swastika-whirling log is faced 180 degrees reversed from the one on the ashtray stand, but I don't think that the American Indian was terribly concerned about which way it faced. But I am impressed with how all of you have approached this topic with such logic and insight. I for one am just an observer, but I do believe that collectively you have answered the question--unless, of course, somebody comes along with a better suggestion. Dwight

?

I wonder how much non-TR swas adorned art has been sold to the easily duped through time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2