Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Opinion on some WMF SS marked teaspoons

Article about: I just wanted to point out that my fork is the exact same design as the original eagle over M marked spoon . Unless Jerry B spoon is a fake also . And I'd also like to mention a member wante

?

Default Opinion on some WMF SS marked teaspoons

Could I ask for some expert opinion on the pictured teaspoons? I know little or nothing about the authenticity of such items. They were bought in a pair on eBay. Bidding on them was quite vigorous.

The engraved ss insignia is very basic, while the manufacturer mark is quite intricate, and identical on both spoons (no flaws). I guess this could mean they are original WMF spoons with the insignia added later. Under a glass, the engraving on both the insignia and the manufacturer mark looks old (shows signs of wear) but difficult to say how old.

One curious feature is that on the back of each spoon, there is a circular area of "corrosion" exactly behind the insignia. Not sure what this means.

Thanks in advance.

Opinion on some WMF SS marked teaspoonsOpinion on some WMF SS marked teaspoonsOpinion on some WMF SS marked teaspoonsOpinion on some WMF SS marked teaspoons

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinion on some WMF SS marked teaspoons
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Opinion on some WMF SS marked teaspoons

No, that is a fantasy piece
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

?

Quote by Dimas View Post
    No, that is a fantasy piece
    I take it that means you don't think they are authentic. Can you tell me why?

?

Because it's absolutely different from the existed originals
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

The 'corrosion' opposite is a mark from the post-war stamping of the SS runes IMO.

?

Quote by Dimas View Post
    Because it's absolutely different from the existed originals
    So, there was only ever one type of spoon made for the SS by WMF?

?

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    The 'corrosion' opposite is a mark from the post-war stamping of the SS runes IMO.
    How would the runes have been applied an authentic spoon? One thing that encouraged me was that any tarnish lines that exist end at the runes, rather than run through them, which suggested to me that the stamp was applied before they were used, rather than later.

The tarnishing would end at the runes, the actual act of stamping tarnished metal (silver?) would brighten the stamped area, that's also why the "corrosion" is on the surface behind the runes, as the stamp has damaged the surface patina.

?

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    The tarnishing would end at the runes, the actual act of stamping tarnished metal (silver?) would brighten the stamped area, that's also why the "corrosion" is on the surface behind the runes, as the stamp has damaged the surface patina.
    I'm not clearing on the "stamping" thing.

Are you saying that on an authentic spoon, the rune would *not* have been stamped? How would it have been applied?

Re. the tarnishing ending at the runes, what I am saying is that the scratches do not run through the runes, they end at the runes. If the rune had been applied after the spoon had been used, I would have expected the scratches to run through the runes. There is no evidence of any scratches running all the way through the runes.

There is no brightness in the stamped area.

If you stamped the runes over minor scratches the scratches would most likely disappear in the stamped area, as the actual act of stamping distorts and stretches the surface of the metal.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast