Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Opinion on some WMF SS marked teaspoons

Article about: I just wanted to point out that my fork is the exact same design as the original eagle over M marked spoon . Unless Jerry B spoon is a fake also . And I'd also like to mention a member wante

?

Default Re: Opinion on some WMF SS marked teaspoons

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    If you stamped the runes over minor scratches the scratches would most likely disappear in the stamped area, as the actual act of stamping distorts and stretches the surface of the metal.
    The scratches aren't really minor. On one spoon, a scratch runs all the way from the edge of the spoon to the rune, and then ends at the rune. Granted, that scratch could have occurred after the stamping.

Again, are you saying that stamping automatically means a fake? That's why I am asking how runes would have been applied on authentic pieces.

Also, in your view, is it the rune alone that suggests a fake, or is it the general appearance of the piece, as suggested by an earlier poster?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinion on some WMF SS marked teaspoons
    P
    Many

I'm faaaar from being an expert on third reich cutlery but i know a little bit about metal, i would guess on authentic items the runes and maker mark would be applied when the metal was still hot and soft, when cooled the spoons etc would be polished to remove minor flaws.
    you notice there is no area of "corrosion" on the spoon opposite the maker mark, that means it's a factory applied stamp, the "corrosion" opposite the runes says to me that it is not a factory done stamping, it was done at a later date when the metal is colder and hard, it would not have passed quality control with that kind of surface finish.

Quote by qtman View Post
    Could I ask for some expert opinion on the pictured teaspoons? I know little or nothing about the authenticity of such items.
    You asked for opinions and yet you persist in not liking those opinions when offered.

I have some TR period forks and spoons and these look nothing like them or any others I have seen except for those considered to be fakes.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    You asked for opinions and yet you persist in not liking those opinions when offered.
    I'm merely trying to understand why they are fakes, so that I can explain this to the person from whom I acquired them, who maintains they came from a reputable source.

I'd prefer not to throw them in the bin on the basis of a one line answer on an internet forum.

?

Check some old threads, this one is from Bad Toelz Schule https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/field...-knife-191656/
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

?

But as the thread starter- they did not exists in this shape/metal/SS markings form
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Did you buy these off Ebay as there was some just like this on there a week or two ago ,i think you will find someone is buying old spoons from a fea market and SS marking them . All the original SS spoons i have seen have been SS Reich marked

Ebay is notorious for fakers, the seller is either a liar or ignorant of the fact they are fake. You should have posted some photos here before you bought them. hope you didn't pay too much.

A close look at the area of 'corrosion' tells me that isn't corrosion at all. It's an area of grinding or sanding most likely done to remove the impression of the SS stamp that appeared after the stamping. I note also there is no patina in the ground area, this just doesn't look good at all.

Add to that the fact these were found on ebay and i couldn't be getting a warm and fuzzy feeling about these at all. I hope you didn't pay too much.

Quote by qtman View Post
    I'm merely trying to understand why they are fakes, so that I can explain this to the person from whom I acquired them, who maintains they came from a reputable source.

I'd prefer not to throw them in the bin on the basis of a one line answer on an internet forum.
    With some items, it is a matter of spending the time, sometimes years, looking at such items and mentally comparing them rather than giving precise answers as to why they are wrong. Certainly originals do not have the mark on the reverse opposite the SS stamp which shows the runes were added after the spoons were made and though it is not possible to say 100% when this was done, it does show that they have been messed with and if your happy to own such a set with that doubt on them, that's up to you, but I would not be happy with them and as you asked for and got opinions, the decision is yours as to how you respond. Others have already gone through with you what else is wrong with them and if that is not enough for you to argue your case with the seller, maybe in future you will ask for opinions before you buy such items. You also need to read the sellers description carefully as many sellers of such items word it so they do not state that everything is original, rather they state something along the lines of old German spoons with SS stamp which does not say anything about when the SS stamp was placed on them and if that was the case you could not return them, if you see what I mean.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast