Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ost wind keel lead

Article about: Gents, Picked up this odd bit from a country auction recently. A couple pounds of lead from Hitler's Yacht OstWind which seems to have languished in Florida for decades. Are there quite of f

Default Ost wind keel lead

Gents,
    Picked up this odd bit from a country auction recently. A couple pounds of lead from Hitler's Yacht OstWind which seems to have languished in Florida for decades. Are there quite of few of these around?
    Best Regards,
    Bob
    OKINAWARELICS

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ost wind keel lead
    P
    Many

Interesting. Did it come with any provenance papers?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

The Okinawarelics site is so over-the-top busy - difficult to
    read - that I quit after scrolling a few seconds.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Agreed....they Really did Not have to put every scrap and bit of info that they have on One page. They should have many many pages to leaf through rather than everything at once.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Has Okinawarelics actually got anything to do with the piece of lead shown above, or is it simply a link to Bob's own website?

As far as the memento allegedly cast from lead from the yacht's hull, well that needs some rock solid provenance to say it's so, otherwise it could just be any old bit of scrap lead melted down to produce literally hundreds, if not thousands of these items.

Unimpeachable provenance is crucial above all else here, otherwise it's just a lump of lead.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Not entirely sure what would make this a collectible lump of lead beyond its scrap value-the original boat wasn't a personal possession of the Leader (a notoriously bad sailor) and has been discussed on a thread here a couple of years or so ago.

The problems with this item are many, but the most serious, and fundamental, in my mind is that very few sailing craft, especially yachts, used lead for ballast. For the most part ballast was, and still is, scrap iron, often cast iron. That's because it's much cheaper than lead. The dead give away in my collecting area, the U-boat Deutschland artifacts, is that fakers use lead to cast their fakes because they, like so many lubbers, think all vessels use lead for ballast. In fact, the U-Deutschland's ballast was several tons of cast iron--exclusively--so anything purporting to be from her ballast has to be a ferrous metal, which can be easily tested with a magnet. I would be utterly surprised if Ostwind used lead for ballast. Dwight

Fellas,
    Thanks for the info on the OstWind piece, I don't have much $ in it and it surprised me at the auction as I did not notice it during the preview as I was looking at more mundane household items.
    I hear you on the website, I have too much on the main page but there are many other pages as well. I have large amounts of other historical relics not posted, especially old scrapbooks from pre-ww2 (China marines / Navy, Phil-US insurrection, that should be in book form. Looking for a program and motovation to do that vice making more large webpages.
    Best Regards,
    Bob
    OKINAWARELICS

I think the yacht is still about.

Harry: She's long gone. She was taken out to sea on a barge on 5 June 1989 and rolled off into the sea, where she immediately went down like a rock. The Yacht had been stored in Jacksonville Florida in a yard owned by J. J. Nelson. She was in very bad shape from neglect and vandalism. A Jewish organization arranged to have her taken out to sea and sunk, largely because the American Nazi Party had tried to buy the hulk with the intention of restoring it. The event was well covered in the national media. Dwight

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast