Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Pieces of rock from Berchtesgaden/ Hitler's Eagles Nest

Article about: Hello, all! I have posted this in my garbage thread... if a moderator deems this thread unnecessary, feel free to delete it! I just thought members of this forum who do not subscribe to my g

?

Default Re: Pieces of rock from Berchtesgaden/ Hitler's Eagles Nest

Talking about pieces of rock - back in 1968 I was living in Germany and went to the Obersalzberg US Recreaction center for a few days, back then one could still see the basement/garage of Hitlers house(Wachelfels) although all in ruins there was a small hole in one foundation wall leading into what was once the garage area - I crawled in and retrieved a small piece of a column along with a red brick and some small slivers of china plates . My wife who was also there told me that I was crazy, but!
    Now the column is in the Bunker and my Polizei display rests his boot on it -

Horst

Pieces of rock from Berchtesgaden/ Hitler's Eagles NestPieces of rock from Berchtesgaden/ Hitler's Eagles Nest
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Pieces of rock from Berchtesgaden/ Hitler's Eagles Nest
    P
    Many

Quote by big ned View Post
    These 'Hitler's Hearth' ashtrays pop up on auction sites on a fairly regular basis, they average around $500 apiece and are fairly hefty at 1 1/4 lbs in weight.

The story goes that an American officer picked up a large piece of the fireplace from Berchtesgaden one month after the end of the war and took it home to the casting foundry where he worked. The marble was cut into VERY small pieces and mounted into cast aluminium ashtrays cunningly fashioned into a recreation of the original fireplace. These were then sold as souvenirs, and as so many were produced a healthy profit was realised!

These photo's show the differences in the colour of the Italian marble that made up the fireplace, and I've seen other colour varients too, so I think it's not unrealistic to see a piece that is not reddish brown and white, it's just the way the marble was formed.

Regards, Ned.
    Very interesting! I had no idea these little souvenirs were made.

2 of the 5 pieces of rock that I have at least match the most obvious color of marble that makes up Hitler's fireplace.

Here is a better shot of the fireplace, where the patterns are more visible:

It still seems like the rocks I have in my possession stand a chance!

I agree!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I think you've got a chance Joe. Spectacular piece Horst!

Jay

Hi Joe,

Just a thought, if you're gonna take more photo's of the marble pieces, wet them first, it'll show up their true colour and grain.

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Here are better pictures... I wet the rocks a little before snapping these.

These seem to be the candidates for fragments of marble from Hitler's fireplace.
    Pieces of rock from Berchtesgaden/ Hitler's Eagles NestPieces of rock from Berchtesgaden/ Hitler's Eagles NestPieces of rock from Berchtesgaden/ Hitler's Eagles NestPieces of rock from Berchtesgaden/ Hitler's Eagles NestPieces of rock from Berchtesgaden/ Hitler's Eagles NestPieces of rock from Berchtesgaden/ Hitler's Eagles Nest

This seems to be another piece of marble. NOT colored like Hitler's fireplace.
    Pieces of rock from Berchtesgaden/ Hitler's Eagles NestPieces of rock from Berchtesgaden/ Hitler's Eagles Nest

This rock has a mini fossil in it.

This seems to be a giant lump of sulfur.

The evidence, when stacked up, is enough for a conviction I feel. The similarities are for me, more than circumstantial.

Regards, Ned.

Quote by big ned View Post
    The evidence, when stacked up, is enough for a conviction I feel. The similarities are for me, more than circumstantial.

Regards, Ned.
    Thank you, your honor!

Pieces of rock from Berchtesgaden/ Hitler's Eagles Nest

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast