Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Pieces of rock from Berchtesgaden/ Hitler's Eagles Nest

Article about: Hello, all! I have posted this in my garbage thread... if a moderator deems this thread unnecessary, feel free to delete it! I just thought members of this forum who do not subscribe to my g

Default Re: Pieces of rock from Berchtesgaden/ Hitler's Eagles Nest

Remarkable find. Good job Joe!!

Burt

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Pieces of rock from Berchtesgaden/ Hitler's Eagles Nest
    P
    Many

I see absolutely no reason to doubt the storys of these particular stones. GI's back then did the exact same thing they still do today-along with everyone else. They picked up bits and pieces of significant structures they could get their hands on and into their pockets for souvenirs. I, myself, am also guilty of this odd bit of pilfering on occasion! My "souvenir stones" are from various locations that I wanted a pocket-sized forget-me-not from and aren't anywhere near as significant as Yours, but I see nothing here to make me doubt the history of the pieces you've got. Nice pick-ups! (Literally! lol)
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thanks for the kind words, folks! I feel privileged to have the opportunity to borrow these.

Hi Joe,

I didn't know, but Berchtesgaden is now a dedicated National Park. I got thinking about the other rocks you have, the one like 'Sulphur' and the dirty white pieces with flecks in them. Remembering what Russ, (MySonsDad) said on page 1 about soldiers picking up pieces of rock etc. from places where they saw action, I decided to look at the geology in the area, this is what I found.

"Plateaus of the National Park are mainly composed of massive flat layers of Dachstein limestone above disaggregated Ramsau dolomite rock...."

The piece of 'sulphur' you have would appear to be limestone, and the other bits possibly
    dolomite rock, so maybe a pick up from the area around the Eagles Nest/Berchtesgaden area? It's worth considering.

Regards, Ned.
    Attached Images Attached Images Pieces of rock from Berchtesgaden/ Hitler's Eagles Nest 
    Last edited by big ned; 05-02-2012 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Added photo.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

These "keepsakes" are very interesting, but a word of warning to anyone considering adding to their little collections...

Be very careful what you try to take, and be especially careful about where you are taking it from. A Jewish couple, well past their youth, found themselves in a lot of trouble a year or two ago, whilst trying to take a few bits and pieces (broken plates etc) back to Israel following a visit to Auschwitz. The airport staff caught them, and their problems began, despite their plea that they were going to "raise money for the Holocaust foundation". Maybe that was their synonym for eBay...who knows...? Point is, we all enjoy visiting these sites, but they are of historic importance, so lets appreciate them and not get too into taking fragments home with us.

Regarding the pieces shown above Joe, I'm due back at the Kehlsteinhaus in a few weeks when it reopens for the season, so if you send those bits over, I'll see if I can match 'em up ha ha! Seriously though, I see no reason to doubt their authenticity, given their appearance and background. One thought that popped into my mind when I first saw them, was that the stones with a lighter, mottled grey appearance, could be fragments from the tunnel that leads to the elevator and the anteroom.

Regards,

Carl

p.s. Good work Ned, possible future role as resident geologist...?

Fascinating stuff! Now I don't feel so strange for trying to track down a piece of marble from the Reich Chancellery, it seems that plenty of others collect bits of rock, marble and brick from some of these sites. I wouldn't damage an historic building to get a piece but if I saw a piece of brick or stone lying on the ground I'd consider that to be fair game. Great thread, really interesting!

Quote by big ned View Post
    The piece of 'sulphur' you have would appear to be limestone, and the other bits possibly
    dolomite rock, so maybe a pick up from the area around the Eagles Nest/Berchtesgaden area? It's worth considering.

Regards, Ned.
    Excellent research, Ned!

I think you are spot on about the other piece of marble which you would classify as dolomite rock!

However, I am pretty sure the yellowish rock is infact sulphur. When I took it outside to snap photos, I noticed it was very soft (I dropped it on accident ). I also noticed that I could "draw" with it like chalk. The biggest piece of evidence that leads me to believe that it's sulphur is that after gently "drawing" with it, the freshly exposed parts on the rock, and the line I drew stunk like rotten eggs!

This is extreme speculation... but perhaps Pvt. Lane picked up the chunk of sulphur at one of the work camps that processed it for the German war machine?

Quote by TIGER88 View Post
    These "keepsakes" are very interesting, but a word of warning to anyone considering adding to their little collections...

Be very careful what you try to take, and be especially careful about where you are taking it from. A Jewish couple, well past their youth, found themselves in a lot of trouble a year or two ago, whilst trying to take a few bits and pieces (broken plates etc) back to Israel following a visit to Auschwitz. The airport staff caught them, and their problems began, despite their plea that they were going to "raise money for the Holocaust foundation". Maybe that was their synonym for eBay...who knows...? Point is, we all enjoy visiting these sites, but they are of historic importance, so lets appreciate them and not get too into taking fragments home with us.

Regarding the pieces shown above Joe, I'm due back at the Kehlsteinhaus in a few weeks when it reopens for the season, so if you send those bits over, I'll see if I can match 'em up ha ha! Seriously though, I see no reason to doubt their authenticity, given their appearance and background. One thought that popped into my mind when I first saw them, was that the stones with a lighter, mottled grey appearance, could be fragments from the tunnel that leads to the elevator and the anteroom.

Regards,

Carl

p.s. Good work Ned, possible future role as resident geologist...?
    Excellent point, Carl!

I should mention that the pieces of the Colosseum and Appian Way that I have are pebbles that I found underfoot... NOT pieces that I chipped off or pulled out of any type of structure.

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    Excellent point, Carl!

I should mention that the pieces of the Colosseum and Appian Way that I have are pebbles that I found underfoot... NOT pieces that I chipped off or pulled out of any type of structure.
    Yeah, yeah, yeah Joe...!

Word is all this s*** happened the last time you were in Rome!! "Pebbles I found under foot" my ar$e...!!
    Attached Images Attached Images Pieces of rock from Berchtesgaden/ Hitler's Eagles Nest 
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Yeah, yeah, yeah Joe...!

Word is all this s*** happened the last time you were in Rome!! "Pebbles I found under foot" my ar$e...!!
    Hahaha, you're a funny man Ned!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast