Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Portrait of RK w/Oakleaves Awardee

Article about: Large oil portrait (4' X 2')of Heer Hauptman Rolf Rocholl born in Berlin 1918 and killed in Isyum,Ukraine 23 Aug 1943. Hauptman Rocholl was awarded the Ritterkreuz on 28 July 1942 as company

?

Default Portrait of RK w/Oakleaves Awardee

Large oil portrait (4' X 2')of Heer Hauptman Rolf Rocholl born in Berlin 1918 and killed in Isyum,Ukraine 23 Aug 1943. Hauptman Rocholl was awarded the Ritterkreuz on 28 July 1942 as company commander the rank of Oberleutnant in the 5th Panzer Regiment in Africa. He was the 287th recipient of the Oakleaves as commander of the IIIrd Battalion,569th Grenadier Regiment in the Ukrain . He was promoted to Hauptman and awarded the oakleaves posthumously 23 August 1943.
    The portrait was painted by the famous German painter Hans Kohl , who was known for his portraiture and figurative paintings,he was a member of the Mainz Association of Artists and the Hessian Artisit Trust, from 1933 a member of the Frankfurtgemeinschaft.
    The portrait was aquired from the family estate in Berlin a number of years ago. If you look close on the portrait you can see that the painting was accomplished when Rocholl was awarded the RK as a Oberleutnant and later updated to reflect the Oakleaves and one extra pip as a Hauptman.

Horst
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Portrait of RK w/Oakleaves Awardee   Portrait of RK w/Oakleaves Awardee  

"He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Portrait of RK w/Oakleaves Awardee
    P
    Many

Default Re: Portrait of RK w/Oakleaves Awardee

very nice ! its a original frame ?
    Pierre

?

Pierre - Yes, the frame is original to the painitng. Glad you like it.

Horst

?

looks like the horse i had years ago, nice painting!

?

An impressive painting when seen and the history known.

Horst

?

Anyone have any idea as to a value??

Horst

?

Thought I would bring this back to the top to see if I could get anymore comments - This reflects alot of history and dosent need alot of research.

Horst

Value is a thing that is pretty hard to determine. It's worth what you can get for it, with the history, and the fact that's it's a known artist, I wouldn't think you could get another one for under 1500. But as i said, hard to determine a true value, If it was by John Constable you could stick quite a few naught's on the end of that.

Supply and demand, and to be fair its got a limited appeal to Joe public

To me and a lot of others of course, it is like anything from the TR period, beauty and style

?

John - Many thanks for your candid opinion relative to the value of approx $1500 , although I have been offered substantive more over the past 20 years that Ive owned it. As you say" its all in the supply and demand", there were only 890 awards for the Oakleaves which makes it a seldom item in itself, then the fact that it was initiated by a known and historical artist also the provenance in my opinion places it into the rarer / not often found category.
    Bottomline is that Im not letting it go as it really is an impressive centerpeice to my III Reich collection.

Horst

?

It's kinda like a Militarist's Rembrandt
    Very Nice
    Newton

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast