MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

“Prinz Eugen Straße” - Porcelain Sign

Article about: Finally got around to taking some pictures of my “Prinz-Eugen Straße” Porcelain Sign. I picked up some time ago. Blue Porcelain over steel it measures 21 x 13. There is some pitting in facin

?

Default “Prinz Eugen Straße” - Porcelain Sign

Finally got around to taking some pictures of my “Prinz-Eugen Straße” Porcelain Sign. I picked up some time ago. Blue Porcelain over steel it measures 21 x 13. There is some pitting in facing of sign but overall it is in still pretty great shape. This sign likely came from Berlin and was taken down at the wars end. “Prinz-Eugen Straße” is currently in the Wedding District in Berlin. It is North of the Müllerstraße. Prinz-Eugen-Straße is reminiscent of the Turkish War, as well as the Hungarians, Turks, Barfus and Ofenerstraße.

Prinz Eugen (photo below) was a brilliant military mind and commander in Chief of the Imperial Army. He was credited with freeing the Austrians from the Turks in the 1600s. We also know the SS Regiment named after him of course and the German Cruiser Prinz Eugen that surrendered to the Allied forces in Copenhagen, Denmark. In the pictures I have also included my Prinz Eugen Pattern Eickhorn Sword that couples nice with the sign.

Hope you enjoy!

Rossi

“Prinz Eugen Straße” - Porcelain Sign“Prinz Eugen Straße” - Porcelain Sign“Prinz Eugen Straße” - Porcelain Sign“Prinz Eugen Straße” - Porcelain Sign“Prinz Eugen Straße” - Porcelain Sign“Prinz Eugen Straße” - Porcelain Sign“Prinz Eugen Straße” - Porcelain Sign“Prinz Eugen Straße” - Porcelain Sign“Prinz Eugen Straße” - Porcelain Sign
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement “Prinz Eugen Straße” - Porcelain Sign
    P
    Many

I've walked past that street a few times during visits to Berlin. I love those old blue street signs!....

?

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    I've walked past that street a few times during visits to Berlin. I love those old blue street signs!....
    Me too Gunny.

?

Nice sign Rossi and the sword fits right in -

Horst
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

Just the name 'Prinz Eugen' sounds cool to me!

Here is a photo of a Prinz Eugen veteran (former Unterscharfuhrer Fred Umbrich) signing his autobiography for me a few years ago.

?

Thanks for sharing this. I appreciate you taking time to post this tonight. It is amazing what a post on a road sign brings out from fellow collectors in fellow collectibles, history, photos, stories and autobiographies in this case. I can imagine he had some stories told and untold and his book is pretty good on his life in the Third Reich.

I found a signed copy from him and the author online in Canada and ordered it tonight. It is used but I am more interested in his story inside the Prinz Eugen Unit. I am sure it is a good read. Just wanted to P.M. you and let you know you inspired me to read his story. Finding a signed copy was a bonus. Having it with the road sign and Prinz Eugen Sword is nice as they relate somewhat. Have a good one mate!

Rossi

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Just the name 'Prinz Eugen' sounds cool to me!

Here is a photo of a Prinz Eugen veteran (former Unterscharfuhrer Fred Umbrich) signing his autobiography for me a few years ago.

Last edited by Rossi; 05-03-2017 at 05:25 AM.

No problem, happy to help!

The Prinz Eugen sure had a tough time fighting Balkan partisans then getting the shaft after the surrender in terms of the backlash against anything SS at the time. Pretty poor reward for Himmler's 'honour' of being considered racially suitable for conscription into the SS.

I've been looking for a Prinz Eugen cuff title and ID tag for awhile now but prices are out of my reach so Fred's book will have to do for now.