Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Recovered Uboat Plates

Article about: Gents, Tomorrow I'm going to look at some recovered artifacts from a UBoat that was sunk off the U.S. coast during the war. The relics were recovered long ago by a scuba diver who is now 80

Default Recovered Uboat Plates

Gents,
    Tomorrow I'm going to look at some recovered artifacts from a UBoat that was sunk off the U.S. coast during the war. The relics were recovered long ago by a scuba diver who is now 80 years old and looking for a good home for his artifacts. He has plates with emblems, a serving pewter tray and said he even has the periscope. I'm taking a camera and hope to take some photos and photos of his recovery photographs. What would be a fair value say for a plate? periscope?

Best Regards,
    Bob
    OKINAWARELICS

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Recovered Uboat Plates
    P
    Many

That's an odd website, very confusing and i cant find a link to U boot plates!..

If these are real (which I am sceptical of) they could be worth a substantial amount, particularly ones with emblems. If there are some leftover I might have to take a look. I really hope these turn out to be good.

If the story is real - I am a skeptic as well - it would be
    most interesting to know the location of the sub for
    a positive ID. Then it's possible to figure out it's
    number, who was captain, when it went
    down, etc.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Aren't they War Graves? If so I thought it was against the law to remove items.

Dean O

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    That's an odd website, very confusing and i cant find a link to U boot plates!..
    It is a rambling tome to be sure - like a million thought bubbles crammed into one page!!!
    LOTS of interesting stuff but a little like wading through a thick pea soup
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

This rather vague post raises many questions, some of which will hopefully be answered when we see the photos. For example, what does an Okinawa historical web site have to do with a alleged U-Boat in American waters? Like Gunny Hartmann, I couldn't find any reference to a U-boat among the mass of material dealing with Okinawa wartime artifacts and stories. Mysteries have always bothered me, and mysteries surrounding wartime artifacts really make me skeptical, i.e. no U-boat number and an 80-year old former SCUBA diver who recovered TR artifacts, "long ago" from an undisclosed location on the US coast. And this guy has the periscope? Do you have any idea as to how big a submarine periscope is, or the physical effort and lifting equipment that would be required to remove it? This is going to be interesting. Dwight

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    This rather vague post raises many questions, some of which will hopefully be answered when we see the photos. For example, what does an Okinawa historical web site have to do with a alleged U-Boat in American waters? Like Gunny Hartmann, I couldn't find any reference to a U-boat among the mass of material dealing with Okinawa wartime artifacts and stories. Mysteries have always bothered me, and mysteries surrounding wartime artifacts really make me skeptical, i.e. no U-boat number and an 80-year old former SCUBA diver who recovered TR artifacts, "long ago" from an undisclosed location on the US coast. And this guy has the periscope? Do you have any idea as to how big a submarine periscope is, or the physical effort and lifting equipment that would be required to remove it? This is going to be interesting. Dwight
    Definitely. If I remember correctly the observation periscope is 5 meters long, and almost entirely one solid tube. Your going to need some awfully big flippers to swim with that thing. Also I would like to mention U-boats are really near and dear to my heart as I have a great uncle who was a captain on one. I really hope this stuff turns out to be good, but its not looking good.

To give the OP the benefit of the doubt, "the periscope" could well be just the eyepiece.
    Folk can get carried away sometimes.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

The link does not contain any info on U-Boat plates
    and is there as a reference to other WWII items.

In this case, less would be more, as I too found it
    very confusing and over-the-top with hyped-up
    sensationalism.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast